Yet more Troops Deployed to Olympics

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Breks, Jul 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

18200 now committed. Is there anyone out there that is NOT either on the HERRICK hamster whhel or doing security at the Games?

2. Yep, me. I'm busy drinking brews.

3. I'm on Kipion...

4. For all the whining about this, if I were still in, I'd want to be involved. It might seem bone, but it's a story for the grandkids if nothing else.

5. If spending a summer searching bags and doing area sweeps whilst living in some portakabin is the best someone can come up with to tell the grandkids, their military 'career' has been pretty ****ing abysmal.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Quite a lot. Only 40,000 are on the op rotation, leaving over 25,000 doing not very much.

7. Just think, in twenty years time there could be a campaign for a medal in recognition of the selfless service given.

• Like Like x 1
  8. There'll be a medal ?,almost worth re-joining.

9. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

It's all the fault of the Top Brass. they made the mistake of saying "Yes Minister, we have deployed the troops as you asked and in our usual military fashion we have 1,200 in reserve for unforeseen circumstances." Politician, "Oh, 1,200 more troops that we can play with you say, let's use them!"

10. I dont think many people would have been that bothered about working at the games really had they been given fair warning or had the games not been running over a main leave period.
    Its just the way it has all been done, i know its life in a blue/green one but its still shit.

11. "What did you do in the War Granddad?"

"I checked some handbags and confiscated some unauthorised branded goods. Now get back on my knee and suck on this Original before your Mum gets home"

12. Assuming that G4S and the police will be manning the phones, out of 18,000 deployed and working a three shift system you have 6000 men on the ground at any one time. Imagine what could be done in any other theatre of operations with that many boots on the ground.
    Better keep that between us!
    B

13. The 'National Defence Medal' Lobby is getting up a head of steam as we post!