Yet more Troops Deployed to Olympics

chimera

LE
18200 now committed. Is there anyone out there that is NOT either on the HERRICK hamster whhel or doing security at the Games?

For all the whining about this, if I were still in, I'd want to be involved. It might seem bone, but it's a story for the grandkids if nothing else.

For all the whining about this, if I were still in, I'd want to be involved. It might seem bone, but it's a story for the grandkids if nothing else.
If spending a summer searching bags and doing area sweeps whilst living in some portakabin is the best someone can come up with to tell the grandkids, their military 'career' has been pretty ****ing abysmal.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
18200 now committed. Is there anyone out there that is NOT either on the HERRICK hamster whhel or doing security at the Games?
Quite a lot. Only 40,000 are on the op rotation, leaving over 25,000 doing not very much.

If spending a summer searching bags and doing area sweeps whilst living in some portakabin is the best someone can come up with to tell the grandkids, their military 'career' has been pretty ****ing abysmal.
Just think, in twenty years time there could be a campaign for a medal in recognition of the selfless service given.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It's all the fault of the Top Brass. they made the mistake of saying "Yes Minister, we have deployed the troops as you asked and in our usual military fashion we have 1,200 in reserve for unforeseen circumstances." Politician, "Oh, 1,200 more troops that we can play with you say, let's use them!"

I dont think many people would have been that bothered about working at the games really had they been given fair warning or had the games not been running over a main leave period.
Its just the way it has all been done, i know its life in a blue/green one but its still shit.

"What did you do in the War Granddad?"

"I checked some handbags and confiscated some unauthorised branded goods. Now get back on my knee and suck on this Original before your Mum gets home"

Assuming that G4S and the police will be manning the phones, out of 18,000 deployed and working a three shift system you have 6000 men on the ground at any one time. Imagine what could be done in any other theatre of operations with that many boots on the ground.
Better keep that between us!
B

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Assuming that G4S and the police will be manning the phones, out of 18,000 deployed and working a three shift system you have 6000 men on the ground at any one time. Imagine what could be done in any other theatre of operations with that many boots on the ground.
Better keep that between us!
B
Three shift system? Both the guys I know who've been sent to OP Sports Day are doing 12hrs on, 12hrs off with no rest days.

Sorry, but if I was stagging on for those shifts any un-branded goods would be blatently ignored.

£11 bn in taxpayers money - I don't care how much the sponsorship raised, of course you can bring in that Greggs steak slice and a bottle of Pepsi...
(Having said that - I would do my best not to be a miserable sod, however my sense of humour might run out if some G4s scrote gets a bit gobby).