Yet More Sabre Rattling

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC News - Hammond warns Iran over threat to close oil trade route

Iran is being made to sit on the naughty step again, and if they refuse to go; the forces of good will probably go after them with a strongly worded letter.

Or maybe not.

Apparently UK/US forces will keep the straits of Hormuz open if the Iranians try to blockade the straits.

Yeah, he says the Royal Navy will play a substantial role in keeping it open.

That minesweeper will have "Armoured Dinnerjacket" quaking in his yashmak.

G

gladwda

Interestingly as well, he's publically stated that he will not sign off on a pre-emptive strike on Iran and its nuclear ambitions?

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Interestingly as well, he's publically stated that he will not sign off on a pre-emptive strike on Iran and its nuclear ambitions?
Like he's going to be asked to do so. I imagine the 5th Fleet and CENTCOM will be the big dogs in this little confrontation and the rowing boat-and-a RIB we maintain on station will have an essentially decorative function. I hope so, anyway, there's a limit to how many replacement iPods the Naval Vote can fund.

Yep, because a stern warning has never failed to stop a megalomaniac doing exactly what the voices / god / lamppost tells them to.

This can only end well..

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Well the Yanks do have a lot of gear to shift from Afghanistan that they can't take through Pakistan.

How about going from Zahedan to Bandar Abbas via Bam?

so why would the west western world sign a vast amount of trade to china while a wars going on in afghanistan?
its just a general question, in my opinion it makes sense to keep the big boys sweet while we play at war

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
Iran cannot shut of the straits. The biggest maritime exporter via the straits is Iran itself.

There are two possible options.

1 After 1 week the Iranian economy goes udders upwards and they cave.
2 The US Navy 5th Fleet liquidise the coast of Iran in 48 hours. It would be like a fight between a bull terrier and a rat......lots of squeaking but very one sided.

S

Screw_The_Nut

I imagine the 5th Fleet and CENTCOM will be the big dogs in this little confrontation and the rowing boat-and-a RIB we maintain on station will have an essentially decorative function.
Our lads could always waterproof their bergan contents, get a johnny on the end of their rifles and do an extended river/gulf crossing!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Iran: Hehe. We've nearly got nukes.

America, Isreal, and some of Europe: Oh no you dont We'll **** you if you do'.

Iran: We're going to close the Straits of Hormuz (See what I did there? LOL)

America, Isreal, and some of Europe: Oh... Wait... Forget the nukes, we'll give you some iPods