Yet More Sabre Rattling

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jan 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

BBC News - Hammond warns Iran over threat to close oil trade route

Iran is being made to sit on the naughty step again, and if they refuse to go; the forces of good will probably go after them with a strongly worded letter.

Or maybe not.

Apparently UK/US forces will keep the straits of Hormuz open if the Iranians try to blockade the straits.

2. Yeah, he says the Royal Navy will play a substantial role in keeping it open.

That minesweeper will have "Armoured Dinnerjacket" quaking in his yashmak.

3. Interestingly as well, he's publically stated that he will not sign off on a pre-emptive strike on Iran and its nuclear ambitions?

4. Like he's going to be asked to do so. I imagine the 5th Fleet and CENTCOM will be the big dogs in this little confrontation and the rowing boat-and-a RIB we maintain on station will have an essentially decorative function. I hope so, anyway, there's a limit to how many replacement iPods the Naval Vote can fund.

5. Yep, because a stern warning has never failed to stop a megalomaniac doing exactly what the voices / god / lamppost tells them to.

This can only end well..

6. Mr_Fingerz

Well the Yanks do have a lot of gear to shift from Afghanistan that they can't take through Pakistan.

How about going from Zahedan to Bandar Abbas via Bam?

7. You misunderestimate the value of a UK ssn in the GoP.

8. so why would the west western world sign a vast amount of trade to china while a wars going on in afghanistan?
    its just a general question, in my opinion it makes sense to keep the big boys sweet while we play at war

9. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Iran cannot shut of the straits. The biggest maritime exporter via the straits is Iran itself.

There are two possible options.

1 After 1 week the Iranian economy goes udders upwards and they cave.
    2 The US Navy 5th Fleet liquidise the coast of Iran in 48 hours. It would be like a fight between a bull terrier and a rat......lots of squeaking but very one sided.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I'd prefer a SSBN. In the words of mcdonalds... Go large!!!

11. Our lads could always waterproof their bergan contents, get a johnny on the end of their rifles and do an extended river/gulf crossing!

12. Are all the iPods secured?

13. Mr_Fingerz

14. Misunderestimate and don't understand. Can I have it in laymans speak. Please.

15. Misunderestimate is a Bushism, which I like to use where possible. It means the same as underestimate, with a bit of misunderstanding thrown in.