Yet another SF unit?

A NEW special forces unit, including Royal Marine commandos, army paratroopers and RAF freefall experts, has been created to support the SAS and Special Boat Service (SBS) in battle.

Defence sources said the Special Forces Support Group (SFSG), which became operational last week, would also support the police in dealing with terrorist attacks. The unit, believed to be about 1,200 strong, will carry out diversionary attacks, provide force protection, set up defensive cordons around SAS and SBS operations and give them supporting firepower.

All the troops in the new unit will continue to wear their own cap badge but will also have a new shoulder emblem that depicts a silver dagger on a green background with a red-lined black flash of lightning running through it. The emblem has raised some eyebrows, with comments that the S-shaped flash bears a passing resemblance to the insignia of Hitler’s SS.

In addition to its wartime functions, the unit, based at St Athan near Cardiff, will have a standing role to support the police in domestic terrorism incidents

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2136722,00.html

I think we should now have our own version of SOCOM.

Ooooh, Im not sure that that green background will go with crab blue..... shocking. Where are the SF Fashonistas when you need them.

Definitely NOT going to the away game at Cardiff now. No more quiet drinks at the St Athans locals now and they'll need the SAS to keep order in the NAAFI. Volunteers for canteen cowboy?

will that now give st athan a lifeline :?: :?: :?: :?: as i heard from one of the civilian sparks there that they were looking at closing the camp :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

A_Knocker_Till_The_End said:
will that now give st athan a lifeline :?: :?: :?: :?: as i heard from one of the civilian sparks there that they were looking at closing the camp :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I've heard a lot of things about the future of St Athan. Not all bad either!! It's being mooted as a possible location for the RN air engineering school (SORRY, College of Aeronautical Engineering :roll: ) if/when it leaves HMS Sultan in Gosport along with RAF Cosford.

Mind you, Barry was rough as fcuk before. Imagine what it'd be like with numerous pissed up chavs, booties and paras!!! 8O

What's surprising is why they've not re-activated some of the wartime special forces/operations units, for exampleRaiding Support Regiment as opposed to the Special Reconnaissance Regiment.

All the MoD need to do is invest in a couple of Osprey books 8) :wink:

Para-ranger - wasn't it meant to be based on 1 PARA ? Is this not the same unit with a few atts and dets?

I

In_my_day

Taz_786 said:
A NEW special forces unit, including Royal Marine commandos, army paratroopers and RAF freefall experts, has been created to support the SAS and Special Boat Service (SBS) in battle.

Defence sources said the Special Forces Support Group (SFSG), which became operational last week, would also support the police in dealing with terrorist attacks. The unit, believed to be about 1,200 strong, will carry out diversionary attacks, provide force protection, set up defensive cordons around SAS and SBS operations and give them supporting firepower.

All the troops in the new unit will continue to wear their own cap badge but will also have a new shoulder emblem that depicts a silver dagger on a green background with a red-lined black flash of lightning running through it. The emblem has raised some eyebrows, with comments that the S-shaped flash bears a passing resemblance to the insignia of Hitler’s SS.

In addition to its wartime functions, the unit, based at St Athan near Cardiff, will have a standing role to support the police in domestic terrorism incidents

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2136722,00.html

I think we should now have our own version of SOCOM.
I think that the only people calling this unit SF are the papers. They are what they are- a Support Group to support SF ops.

IMD

Isn't this just the 'Ranger style' support Bn that John Reid spoke of? Though it was based around 1 Para originally. I suppose the composition as it is now gives it much more flexibility and capability

FNUSNU said:
Isn't this just the 'Ranger style' support Bn that John Reid spoke of? Though it was based around 1 Para originally. I suppose the composition as it is now gives it much more flexibility and capability
It sounds like a Ranger style unit, oh why do we have to copy everything the septics have....

The only person to call it Ranger battalion, or at least to start the press off was Hoon. POD was not impressed by this. It remains as 1 Para. This was more to deflect from the fact that the proposed four infantry regiments that were going to be axed (All the Army Boards decision and not Hoon's, allegedly) tuned out only to be three, no one wanted to be seen backtracking on the four Reg issue. The JSFSG was being considered and to a degree being used on operations long before its creation.

mistersoft said:
Definitely NOT going to the away game at Cardiff now. No more quiet drinks at the St Athans locals now and they'll need the SAS to keep order in the NAAFI. Volunteers for canteen cowboy?
do not volunteer me for anything :wink: i am far too old :lol:

Sorry canteen cowboy, spotted my mistake too late but in line with HMG policy, security of the Naafi will probably be Group 5 which has nothing to do with the other group who are at this moment scouring the countryside for two missing prisoners.