yet another question about OPMI soldier stuff!

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by YesSirMasterChief, Jan 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I'm just hoping to find out about any opinions that anyone might have with regards to my potential suitability for the OPMI soldier role, which I'm really interested in. I got my BSc quite a few years ago (2000), and then my MSc a couple of years ago in scientific/technical based subjects. I've worked for all of the other years since completing my BSc in scientific/technical environments, and for the last few years particularly in research and development in competitive commercial environments (I'm 29 now). As such I'm quite used to being in a fast paced role where I have to think about complex problems and adjust my methodology to come up with new ways to make progress.
    Sorry if this sounds a bit like I'm selling myself here but I'm wondering if the OPMI role would appeal to someone with my kind of need for challenge and stimulation. I'm really interested in technology in general and also military technology and usage and I think I could adapt to this kind of work if it was thrown at me. I really want to experience the army life as well and I'm thinking that this kind of role would mix both aspects of what I'm looking for. Or perhaps I've gathered preconceptions about it.
    I appreciate that at 29 I would be tending toward the upper age of the spectrum for army entry, although I feel that I'm mature enough to gladly pass what experience of life I have onto others. Does the Int Corps tend toward more mature entrants and/or those with higher qualifications? Also, do you think that my professional experience would stand me in good stead as an applicant? Having said that, I do know that any analytical job no matter how intricate can contain repetitive mental (and possibly physical) tasks so I'm not expecting it to be something different everyday, and certainly not require hard work!
    I feel that it's something that I would be suited to and in turn I'm hoping it's the kind of job where you get out what you put in so long as you maintain a high level of attention and ambition. Or am I going to be severely disappointed?
    Also, I'm physically fit and would like a job that got me out and about a bit (I'm hoping that jobwise this doesn't contradict the stuff mentioned above).

OK thanks for reading this lengthy post :)
    Any opinions welcome.

2. To be honest you sound to me like you're well overqualified

3. here is a very non-scientific take on Int Corps and education gleaned from my own experience and a straw poll of a group of Cpl/Sgts I had educational dealings with recently.

About half already had degrees or were with the OU. Several were about to start Masters level quals in Security/Int related subjects. One wanted advice about his Global Security Masters thesis that he was about to do. Others had no plans as yet to embark on higher education level courses. Others wanted to know if Army funding could be used for American degree.

Some people are learning/education junkies, some are not. To disagree with Temple, I wouldn't say you are "over qualified". There are many in the Corps with your level of qualification. There will be some with more and some with the bare minimum required for entry.

To quote a Squadron commander on entering the Int Cell populated by 4 Int J/Sncos " F'k me, I'm the only non-grad here!"

as all the recruiting strands will tell you it is the person that counts.

Hope this helps

4. Another option is to get a job in the defence industry and then join 3 or 5 MI, depending on where in the country you end up. You won't be out of place there either.

(3 and 5 are the TA Bns)

5. No - unless our rep on Tracy Island is retiring !

6. YSMC... if you do join, shaving your head is not compulsory ;)

7. but back sak and crack are de rigeur

8. with GI Jane as an apparent favourite movie, i very much doubt that "sack" is going to be an issue :)

9. Thanks for your responses!
    Sorry MeOldChina 'No' was the answer to which question? lol
    CR, damn I was looking for an excuse to shave my head! (hoo hah)

Well, OK, that's somewhat reassuring. I wouldn't want to be there and feel completely pointlessly overqualified. Although my experience of my own field so far is that some people straight from school/college can really take to the job and show eagerness/talent, in other cases you can get people with PhDs (and more) who seem no better at being able to put 2 and 2 together, so to speak. I would probably be interested in doing another masters in a different subject (military/int related), does the Int Corps fund this when you are enlisted or is this simply for the soldiers' own interest? Can you do research rather than taught subjects (I'm thinking maybe even a PhD or maybe an MRes/MPhil).
    I'm largely looking for a bit of a career change though (now kick started due to current economic circumstances) so I'm not really looking for the same thing, I'm really wondering about the transferability of my skills in the long run.
    Does phase 1 training include anything to do with your future Int Corps work or is it all left completely to phase 2?
    Also, yes I've been in touch with 3MI Bn and having a look/interview at their next open day. So I might be getting ahead of myself but I kind of feel if it's a good career for me then maybe just go for it full time while I'm still inside the age bracket for regular service.

10. He'll be the one with the high forehead, thick specs and no dress sense ! or am I describing most of the Bn ?

11. No P1 is monkey see, monkey do, monkey get thrashed regardless. It wont feel like it at the time but it'll be the easiest part of your career. All arms and services begin their special to arm (trade) training at phase 2.

12. He'll only stand out as he's under 40, not working for SOCA or both.

13. It's well known that all members of the scientific community look like that, even the women.

Also, what is SOCA?

14. That's a great question. It might usefully be rephrased as "Also, what is SOCA for?"*

*Apart from giving paid employment to assorted ex-Int Corps ne'er-do-wells who would otherwise be reclining in puddles of their own urine outside Tube stations shouting at traffic and sipping Extra Strong Bargain Lager from tins bought at the offie round the corner, that is.

15. Or, for brevity: "SOCA. Why?"*

YSMC; Google it.

*Apart from preventing me reclining in puddles of my own urine etc.