Yet another press up question...

what is the correct press up? I've read somewhere here that this is with the elbows in line with the body, yet when the PTIs we demonstrating before we had a go at woolwich they did it with elbows sticking out like chicken wings. Which is it? After trying both, the elbows out is easier, so i'm inclined to think its the other! :frustrated:

Mebbe we should get a press up/sit up/ chin up sticky on this forum.

up...... down...... up...... down....... :biggrin:

Depends which muscles you want to excercise I think.

As far as I'm aware - in line with shoulders and fingers facing forwards focuses, among shoulders/pectorals/core, mainly on biceps, whereas hands close together at your chest, and chicken wing arms focus on your triceps.

So there's no "official" method then. I guess i'd better try both!

I'm ok with the up-down bit cheapseats, i'm just not so good with the back up bit! Hopefully the kind natured PTI will let me sit back with a paper and a cup of tea when he sees me sweating, grunting and blowing bubbles out of my arrse trying! :sweatdrop:

Kellya84 said:
So there's no "official" method then. I guess i'd better try both!

I'm ok with the up-down bit cheapseats, i'm just not so good with the back up bit! Hopefully the kind natured PTI will let me sit back with a paper and a cup of tea when he sees me sweating, grunting and blowing bubbles out of my arrse trying! :sweatdrop:
The official method is in the MATTS test procedure here
http://www.army.mod.uk/servingsoldier/matt_wip_.htm

It took me a while to find it too. I've asked Pangur Ban to make it a sticky so that newbies can find it right off.