Yet another press up question...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Kellya84, Mar 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. what is the correct press up? I've read somewhere here that this is with the elbows in line with the body, yet when the PTIs we demonstrating before we had a go at woolwich they did it with elbows sticking out like chicken wings. Which is it? After trying both, the elbows out is easier, so i'm inclined to think its the other! :frustrated:

Mebbe we should get a press up/sit up/ chin up sticky on this forum.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

up...... down...... up...... down....... :biggrin:
  3. Depends which muscles you want to excercise I think.

As far as I'm aware - in line with shoulders and fingers facing forwards focuses, among shoulders/pectorals/core, mainly on biceps, whereas hands close together at your chest, and chicken wing arms focus on your triceps.
  4. So there's no "official" method then. I guess i'd better try both!

I'm ok with the up-down bit cheapseats, i'm just not so good with the back up bit! Hopefully the kind natured PTI will let me sit back with a paper and a cup of tea when he sees me sweating, grunting and blowing bubbles out of my arrse trying! :sweatdrop:
  5. The official method is in the MATTS test procedure here
  6. Aha! My inability to use the internet properly rears its ugly head again!

Cheers Ex-STAB
  7. It took me a while to find it too. I've asked Pangur Ban to make it a sticky so that newbies can find it right off.
  8. Get a mate who's as crap as you, then "tell the truth" when the Pti asks you how many youve done ,........walks away innocently
  9. Damn.... I thought I was the only one who did that. Rumbled.