Yet another post whining about pain in the shins, help much appreciated.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by alex965, Apr 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all, apologies for resurrecting an already done to death topic but I'm not sure what to do. I've got my first TSC weekend in a fortnight and what has been a long running issue has suddenly got much worse. When I'm running I'm fine for the first 1-2 miles and then all of a sudden I start to get what feels like toothache in my shins and up the sides of my lower legs. It gets worse and worse until I stop to stretch off and then the pain subsides only to come back after another few hundred metres of running.

Obviously I'm used to aches and pains and I'm not exactly unfit, I can do a 1.5 miler in under 9 mins and 4 miles in 30. I'm not overweight either. I've had this sort of pain in my shins for around a year now but before it was so minor I just put it down to cramps and made sure I did stretches afterwards but it has got much worse quite quickly. Not sure what to do and I don't want to make it any worse.

2. Go and see a doctor instead of taking advice from random strangers on the internet.
  3. Would going to see a Doctor not still be taking advice from random strangers on the internet? aha. Shit joke aside, yeah I will do. To be honest I was worried seeing a GP about a potential injury would get me deferred, probably sounds stupid etc. but it's taken so long to get close to training I'm really frustrated that out of all the times I could have something like this it would have to be now. Cheers for the reply.
  4. Shouldn't you have got it seen to when I first started then you wouldn't be in this position now?

Makes me laugh how most blokes have the old " run it off " attitude ( myself included) and then wonder why it's got worse.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. See a sports Physio privately.
  6. Its ankle cancer, the worst kind.

You are going to die.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Shit the bed. I thought as much but I needed a second opinion. I'm off to empty my bank account so I can spend my last few days on earth drowning in booze and prostitutes.
  8. That happened to me almost my whole life but i am right now in my 30s lol anyway i can share a bit of my experience with you.
    Whenever i walk i had that pain in my shins and lower part of legs finally decided to see a doctor.He told me that it is a weakness of muscles i wasn't a very active guy,So he suggested me to participate in physical activities like football,swimming,running etc.And that really helped me basically it happens because our muscles are not in mature condition they are not use to of working.When we keep our body it takes us to the next level and we start gaining stamina/strength just take care of your diet take good nutrition.This is what my doctor suggested me and it worked for me.I did the same for you rest depends on you.
  9. Go away.
  10. rude
  11. Cheers for all the advice guys, I took a week off running and before I committed to seeing a doctor or a physio I found a decent local sports shop and they did a gait analysis. When the bloke saw the shoes I was running in before that a member of staff at another store had suggested I get he said it's no wonder I was getting dodgy shins, the tard at the other shop had recommended a pair for people who over pronate for some reason- I quite clearly don't over pronate. Spent more than I'm used to on a decent pair of shoes with the right cushioning and have built back up over a week or so to running as much as I usually do. Absolutely no problems with the shins, no aches, no pains and running feels much easier now. Moral of the story, don't be a retard like me and make sure you go into a PROPER sports shop with staff who know what they are talking about.
  12. Alex you might also like to try a physio. I spent from the age of 24 - 30 with sore legs, based on being too thick to go to the med centre (which remains a mildly mardi gras activity). Once I wised up, a few of the right stretches sorted me awful lot of pain could have been avoided.