Yet another one escapes deportation.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tuffy52, Apr 16, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I take it you did not bother to read the judgment of the court?

Does the fact that the decision of the court was unanimous, and included a UK judge, not matter at all?

• Like Like x 5
  2. Probably because the good 'ole U S of A seems to think it can demand ANY UK citizen and we will meekly comply whereas the reciprocity on their behalf is exactly the square root of **** all.

3. ...and the ***ckers refused my (Russian) wife a spouse visa. Obviously, she should have either embezzled $400 million like Borodin, or tried to blow up half of London. Makes my time spent serving my country seems so worthwhile.

4. I'd be much happier if the ECHR paid the costs of keeping these people in jail if the hosting country believes them too dangerous to free, or the security costs of those not so dangerous that can be freed on bail; otherwise the hosting country's taxpayers end up paying for a decision made outside of their own control.

5. Having taken your advice and following the link, If you actually think that's a balanced view I suggest you visit specsavers urgently.

6. Would be interested in what you disagree with in the judgment and why?

7. On 27 March 2008 the applicant was transferred to Broadmoor Hospital from HMP Long Lartin because he met the criteria for detention under the United Kingdom’s mental health legislation.20. On 11 November 2011 the First-Tier Tribunal (Health, Education and Social Care Chamber) Mental Health considered the applicant’s case and concluded, having considered the evidence from the applicant’s clinical care team, that he was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia which made it appropriate for him to continue to be liable to detention in a medical hospital for his own health and safety.

I would tend to agree that sending him to the US would not be in line with his human rights

8. For a start, (B) The Facts para 19 to 22 as background then (C) Expected treatment on Extradition para 23 to 29 explaining the view of the US Dept of Justice.

It seems the ECHR has, in effect, said "We don't believe you."

9. America are world leaders at making antipsychotics.

10. I tend to disagree that his Human Rights have been endangered because his mental health can be investigated, diagnosed and catered for in the USA just as they can here.

11. Hmm. But you can't really deport someone for being sick. Which is kinda where they're coming from I imagine.

12. BB, we wouldn't be extraditing him for being sick, we're extraditing him so he can be investigated for complicity in a terrorist attack. That he's ill is not in doubt but isn't the reason for deportation.

• Like Like x 2