yet another nhs cock up

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sharkie, May 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daily mail

just when i had thought that i had heard it all!!

2. yeah, just when you think it cannot possibly get worse up comes another story of NHS Britain, these are all one offs but it goes to show how things really are in the world today. shocking if it's true.

3. This is totally minging and unbelievable! I hope there is a proper inquiry and the 'nurse' is suspended without pay then sacked!

stilts

4. This is incredibly disturbing, as much on the medical as the emotional sides. The mother will need a full gynaecological look-see to ensure that foetal detachment was clean and that all haemorrhage has ceased. Certainly ERPC and D&C can wait but not the initial examination.

5. i am sure she will when she returns from " holiday!"

6. Just keep throwing money down the NHS toilet.It is bound to get better. :roll:

7. Sad tale and incredible stupidity but:

".......the Trust hadn't received a formal complaint from Miss Hill and if they received one they would have a full internal investigation."

8. speechless........... what is wrong with people??

9. I'll file this one under the same heading as Martin Ryan who had a stroke and couldn't swallow.

Nobody on his ward fed him for a month so he starved to death.

Feckin' unbelievable.

10. Unfortunately all a bi-product of the new 'professional' nurses as opposed to yesteryear's 'vocational' nurses who cared in abundance and only needed to be taught the mechanics and routines of patient care. It was all helped by actually walking out on to a ward and meeting the patients.

11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It is difficult to understand how anyone could possibly have thought that they were giving appropriate advice. The only thing I can possibly think is that whoever answered the phone was having some kind of breakdown. Its not an excuse but it might be an explanation. Some NHS staff are at the end of thier tethers - maybe this one just snapped.

I watched part of the panorama prog last night looking at the aftermath of Margret Heywoods persecution by the NMC. She filmed staff behaving in unbelievable ways. I can't believe they went into healthcare intending to be like that but somehow Labours NHS has made them that way.

12. Dead right there Markintime, My other half was a staff nurse at GOS and these story's make her want to hide under the carpet, she just can't except what sort of people get into nursing today, Can't repeat here what her reaction was.

13. I'm sorry i really don't recognise the picture of Nursing you paint, which is odd as a I am a practicing Registered Nurse ...

or once again is this a symptom of those whose viewpoint on nursing practice is informed by being on wards only at either

1. ward round time

2. visiting time

times at which other activities are minimised

unsuprisingly during afternoon visiting I am most likely to be completing documentation unless there is a pressing clinical need, because it allows visitors to see the patients they have come to see , and it's a task which can be left relatively easily to speak with visitors and patients , or would you rather I be in the treatment room or behind curtains for the entire period doing 'environmentally unpleasant' activities ....

Nurses are not there to be the slave of patients or their visotors, and unfortunately sometimes this means being 'mean ' to patients in the best interests of their rehabilitation ...

Also people seem to forget that in this pointless metric obsessed culture that zanuliarbore have introduced , achieving the metric is more important than achieving the mission - most easily summed up in the phrase ' hitting the target but missing the bloody point'

14. unbefuckinglievable!

15. Nice rant but my observation comes from being involved with the profession starting out as a student nurse in 1974 and ending in disillusionment and disgust 10 years ago. Student nurses these days spend more time in university than they do with patients. No point in a long embroiled argument about the pros and cons of old-fashioned nurses versus body mechanics, suffice is to say that the breadth and depth of your knowledge is far superior to yesterday's nurses but the amount of time a trained nurse, not a carer or auxiliary spends with the actual patient is much reduced. I certainly don't think nurses should be slaves but you are there to look after them and not to sit and shuffle paperwork and bitch about not being paid as much as doctors.