Yet another media mess

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dread, Feb 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4715540.stm

Here from the BBC about a bunch of Australians publishing photos from.... wait for it!.... 2003!

The people in the photos are being courtmartialled, the President of the US of A has given a grovelling apology, but no, that isnt enough for these people.

So how will we be able to identify between soldiers attacked because of NOTW images/video and this latest piece of muckraking?

2. This is another piece of a Info campaign being staged by some Media mogul with UK and Austarlian connections - who might that be?

3. I find it odd that all of a sudden these stories are appearing in these troubled times. It's almost as if we're willingly inciting dramas.

SBS is a Government owned station I believe.

4. Ain't info ops great!

5. A cynical part of me says that it is all part of Murdoch's plan to put the UK and the US into as bad a light as possible in order to make us unpopular in Oz; then they declare independence and one of his brats gets installed as President (for life). It will probably happen at the same time that B.Liar gets made President of Europe.

Now were is my tin-foil hat?

6. It's on the same hatrack as mine. Personally I thought it was a plan to incite as much unrest as possible , so Iranian SiS can really get stuck in , then we can re-spin the stories to say "Iran behind unrest and backing terrorism" or some such.

More bacofoil please.

7. Leave some foil for me as well - the timing of these last few weeks does seem to have been one thing after another, just as the previous thing was cooling off a little.

(And a lot of it old as well...)

8. Feels like the media is acting on behalf of the terrorists etc. Yes I agree with what they're saying, but, why not go straight to the government? By releasing videos and pictures of the type seen recently the press are risking the lives of the blokes on the street.

Surely by publishing the offending material and causing more people to (maybe) turn against the UK/US etc in troubled areas, they (the press) are making the job of securing the country harder AND potentially making it harder to actually withdraw from those countries, thereby making the problems that the press whinge about (not enough troops, troops dying, possibly more scandals, having troops in unpopular countries yadda yadda yadd) go on and happen for longer.

On those grounds the press would be contributing to the problem. Although on the plus side for them it would keep the stories going for longer. Guess it all comes down to making money no matter what the human cost.

Waffle out.

9. How strange that the media will not print the cartoons for fear of inflaming Islamic opinion,
    but it is more than happy to kick off and then fan the flames they start by printing old news.
    A finer example of moral cowardice I have yet to find. If this isn't proof of an orchestrated
    media assault on us, I don't know what is.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Since the previous thread is locked, I hope PTP won't object to this from today's Defence Net:
    http://defenceintranet.diiweb.r.mil.uk/DefenceIntranet/News/DefenceNews/MOD/InvestigationIntoVideoAbuseAllegationsNowRmpsTopPriority.htm

I have posted Cpl Ripper's EXCELLENT "Support our British Troops" in my window. I urge all ARRSE readers ( including Sergey,Arik and Ctauch) to do likewise....

Le Chevre

11. Goatman,

I'll let the Defencenet announcement stand, but once again, discussion on the specifics of the case will get the thread locked. There is something very odd about the way this is going.

Regards

PTP

12. As was mentioned on the now locked thread the NOTW normally publish a follow up. Perhaps this is simply an attempt to keep the whole "abuse / aren't our soldiers awful" thing on the front page until that occurs. I have to say that Perevodchik has an excellent point, which is worth considering.

13. Where can I find this excellent support poster?

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I see the press are now publishing more of the original Abu Graib photos. They seem to be deliberately stoking the fire.

15. The more I look at the pictures the more they remind me of boys service in the mid 1960's, perhaps I should be more shocked than I really am, but I just wonder what is "missing" from US military training to end up with a f**** up of this scale.