Yet another medal question

Can anyone help me to identify some of this group?

I've got some of 'em

Civil OBE
Military MBE (didn't know both could be worn together but hey-ho)
Order of St John
*Blue ribbon* - no idea
Silver Jubilee Medal
Golden Jubilee Medal
Territorial Decoration
*Cross on a predominantly white ribbon* - no idea
St John's Long Service (I think?)
Red Cross Long Service (I think?)

Can anyone confirm these?

SgtH

Old-Salt
a picture paints a 1000 words.

The St.Johns has a black / white thin alternate striped ribbon.
(my old troopy used to wear his 'one St John Gong' much to our amusement!!)

Z

Zarathustra

The cross looks like a Military Cross, shouldn't the Jubilee and long servce medals be on the right as we look at it with the OBE, MC etc on the left with the other stuff in the middle?

SgtH

Old-Salt
couldn't get the picture to open, just 'ickle box with a red cross in it!
Bugger!!

a civil division OBE and a military division MBE can be worn together
the blue ribbon looks like a UNHQ service medal

crow_bag said:
The cross looks like a Military Cross, shouldn't the Jubilee and long servce medals be on the right as we look at it with the OBE, MC etc on the left with the other stuff in the middle?
It's definitely NOT a Military Cross.

The chappie concerned is a TA Colonel and (knowing him reasonably well) I really can't imagine his order of wear being wrong. Or him wearing something he ain't entitled to.

balldrick said:
the blue ribbon looks like a UNHQ service medal
I thought they all had striped ribbons. I know it ain't a great pic, but from what I saw, it didn't seem to have the central globe that UN medals have.

Z

Zarathustra

Harry Paget Flashman said:
crow_bag said:

It's definitely NOT a Military Cross.

The chappie concerned is a TA Colonel and (knowing him reasonably well) I really can't imagine his order of wear being wrong. Or him wearing something he ain't entitled to.
Fair enough the ribbon looks similar to an MC though.

I was always led to believe medals went Honours/awards, Op Medals in the order they're earnt with Jubilee lsgc acsm etc at the back

With regarded to the light blue, the only ones I can find that could possibly be worn that high up are:

The Royal Guelphic order, a Hanoverian order not issued by the British since 1837 (however the royal family of Monaco can still award it as the heads of the Royal House of Hanover)

Or the

Kaiser-I-Hind (Emperor of India), although never officially rescinded, ceased to be issued after the passage of India act in 1947

Or more likely

The UNHQ medal issued for 90 days service at the UN HQ in New York planning and implementing new UN missions

Hope this helps

Edited to say - See Above :D :D

balldrick said:
Sorry mate but they can't. The OBE, regardless of whether it is civil or military, takes precedence over the MBE...so much so, that you have to give back the MBE before you receive the OBE. What this bloke is doing in his miniatures is saying he got an MBE for his military career, but an OBE for a civilian job. Fair do's, it is a rare thing to get both, but you do not wear both.
You do not, for instance say, Lt Col Blimp, 3rd Foot & Mouth, OBE (Civil), MBE (Military), TD.
You would just put Lt Col Blimp, 3rd Foot & Mouth, OBE, TD.

MightyBigEgo said:
balldrick said:
Sorry mate but they can't. The OBE, regardless of whether it is civil or military takes precedence over the MBE...so much so, that you have to give back the MBE before you receive the OBE. What this bloke is doing in his miniatures is saying he got an MBE for his military career, but an OBE for a civilian job. Fair do's, it is a rare thing to get both, but you do not wear both.
Although I cannot say for fact, that is my understanding, the higher award in the same division (Civ or Mil) takes precedence, otherwise the post nominal would be for example:

MBE (Civ), or MBE (Mil)
And he would be

OBE (Civ) MBE (Mil)

MightyBigEgo said:
balldrick said:
Sorry mate but they can't. The OBE, regardless of whether it is civil or military takes precedence over the MBE...so much so, that you have to give back the MBE before you receive the OBE. What this bloke is doing in his miniatures is saying he got an MBE for his military career, but an OBE for a civilian job. Fair do's, it is a rare thing to get both, but you do not wear both.
Yes they can becuse they are different divisions if they were both in the same division you get promoted to the higher order and can no longer use the lower post nominals unless you were awarded the lower one for gallentry (which stopped on the intro duction of the QGM)

It does appear to be the UNHQ medal.

The cross is perturbing me. This sounds stupid but it looks like a George Cross with a Military Cross Ribbon :oops:

As for the cross, the only ribbon (other than the MC) that comes close is the RN LS & GC, however that has a much broader purple band.

It certainly looks like an MC to me

Not trying to be a mong, but why would you be awarded an MBE, OBE CBE for gallantry? Surely that would come under the MC, DSO category? Now that I am genuinely curious have you got any bods that I can look up that have an Order of the British Empire for gallantry?

SgtH said:
The St.Johns has a black / white thin alternate striped ribbon.
(my old troopy used to wear his 'one St John Gong' much to our amusement!!)
The St John with the plain black ribbon is "Serving Brother".

Have one here [belonged to Mrs B_S's father].