Yet Another Foreign Policy Hotspot

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jun 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 1
  2. Spent many years in the region, but let us ask our French best friends whether Indo-China is a 'goer' for military adventures. Additionally, we could ask our American allies for their view.

Whatever, I just hope the twerp Cameron has ideas other than to emulate the grinning spiv Blair in the 'stupid military adventures stakes'.

3. Um, Libya?

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

As I have mentioned frequently before, the South China Sea, with its oil and gas resources on the one hand and its ill-defined and disputed boundary claims on the other, is certainly one to watch, particularly with China as a participant and her navy (PLA(N)) being grown to suit her ambitions there. Whether we will be any use there after the Royal Navy has been cut to pieces is another matter. Malaysia and Singapore may well expect Commonwealth support but I suppose we shall have to stand impotently by as Oz & NZ help as best they can and the US is slowly dragged in until it is head to head with China.

And Oh! happy memories .. but long ago.

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well it might just be the gift that keeps on giving....

6. With any sense we will pull out of the Five Powers Defence Arrangements which tie us to the defence of Malaysia and Singapore (Along with Oz and New Zealand). Either that or we develop the strength to back up our convictions. Personally I would rather the former- the Empires over and we withdrew East of the Suez a long time ago. What could we possibly gain from some far flung war in the South China sea?

Of course 'sense' doesn't really enter into British foreign policy (Or politics in general it seems)

7. Whatever happens UKwise, it will be interesting to see a Vn - China spat. Last time it happened Vn gave China a bloody good seeing to and sent them packing, tail between their legs. Vn has been very busy re arming and modernising their armed forces over the last 4 years too.

8. And now Vietnam is friendly with the USA as well

However, I think any conflict in the area would be mostly naval based in which China has the clear advantage (Unless the USA decided to get involved). I doubt we would see any more Chinese forays into the jungles of Vietnam

9. Quite possibly. However Vn is also re equipping with Russian Kilo Class submarines and during the last conflict, the Chinese simply didnt have the stomach for a fight - and it wasnt all in the steamy jungles. As I said, it will be interesting.

10. A few years ago I spoke to a NVA sergeant who was captured by the Chinese. He seemed to think that his side inflicted heavier casualties but the Chinese left when they decided to. He said something along the lines of ,'There are sixty million of us, there are six hundred million of them, you know who is going to win'.

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

yeah but the border is narrow and the ally nva had been fighting continuous for thousands of years long before the vietnamese emperor split from china and formed their own mini me chinese empire based in Hue.

I seem to remember some statistic that they have been fighting with the chinese since the americans left.

the problem would be where would their arms come from if not by train through china as with the great war of unification? I guess india would help as they have had a few fight with china over the years as well.

12. Not particularly. We've already been. We got a cool tatt, a bunch of flags, and a dose from the prosties in Saigon, so we believe we'll sit this one out. :p (Unless there's oil in the Spratleys)

CrossedRifles.jpg

Viet Cong Flags resized -2.jpg

13. The last, last time it happened (84-89), the PAVN was left feeling cheap and used despite local numerical superiority of 9-7 while the PLA sniffed its collective fingers and grinned. The last, last, last time it happened, VPN lost the three ships it sent to the Spratlys and it's underwear as well.

This is deja vu, it's happened every 2-3 years for the last 2 decades at least and it's a useful way for both governments to vent some steam from their respective populations while signing deals behind closed doors.

Incidentally, an interesting read I came across recently is 'Chinese Energy Security: The Myth of the PLAN's Frontline Status' by Dr. Ryan Clark. I haven't had a chance to read it yet but the synopsis is interesting in terms of this thread.