Yes/no: More ubiquitous man portable thermobarics

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by IndependentBoffin, May 4, 2012.

?
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    33.3%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys,

What do you think about increasing the availability of thermobaric weapons to infantry? Looking at a video clip of some fighting in Afghanistan below:

FIREFIGHT ON HELMET CAM IN AFGHANISTAN - PART 1 | FUNKER530 - YouTube

It strikes me that:
    1) Target acquisition is difficult at 200-300m with Terry under cover and soldiers peeking out of cover too
    2) Killing the target with small arms or even 40mm grenades/hand grenades is difficult
    3) Many times the soldiers were shooting blind, e.g. rifles over cover and not properly sighted/shouldered
    4) Using standard HE weapons, e.g. M72 LAW is not so effective against enemies hidden around cover which may shield them from fragments
    5) A highly effective way to deal with enemy infantry under these circumstances is by using thermobarics, e.g.

Future Weapons: SMAW-NE - YouTube

Apart from their ability to affect people hidden behind cover, the casings of thermobaric weapons need not be thick metal (i.e. heavy) to produce viable lethal fragments.

I realise there is some political embarrassment about using thermobaric weapons against our enemies, e.g.
    Summer 2009 Parliamentary Records: Other Indiscriminate and Inhumane Weapons | Acronym Institute

Three questions I had though:
    1) How effective would a sniper have been under such circumstances? He could have pulled back to where the enemy wasn't expecting and just watched the area carefully for targets.
    2) Would FLIR systems have been able to pick out the enemy in the hot Afghan climate?
    3) Would mortars have made a difference in such a firefight?

Have a great day!

2. I have no experience of such things, however I'd like to know if you have invented flubber yet ?

3. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

I voted "Yes", but surely a stiff talking to our clients would suffice.... (please see other thread)

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I've watched through most of that, I'm assuming they are Canadians but they seemed to spray rather than aim the suppressive fire from the LMG. Why spend dosh on sights when they arent using them?
    Also 30 years ago with 7.62, we would have spent a while working out how to flank them rather than sit tight and slug it out toe to toe until calling in air or artillery.
    Then again 30 years ago we had a sensible PM who didnt send us to foreign shitholes to support our cousins!

5. They're Americans, 10th Mountain Division according to the shoulder flash. He's not very good at minimi reloads either imho.

6. Thermobaric weapons sound great so long as the other side cant get a hold of them.

• Like Like x 1
  7. If I was going to take a wild stab in the dark at the unit, I'd have a guess at Bravo Company, 2nd Bn, 30th Infantry Regiment from the 4th Brigade in 10th Mountain Division.

8. That minimi would've gone through at least 800 rounds. I wonder if he hit anyone?

9. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Why, are you selling some?

The "ideal" combat load is 25 kg, the current average British Infantry combat load in AFG is 50 kg, we really don't need another heavy weapon system for poor wee Jock Mcplop to carry (and never get to fire), on the outside chance.

What's wrong with suppression and movement like we do just now (well not right now I'm in my hoose), and snipers and mortars and javelin and et all we carry?

However give me a bag of HARIBO and I will personally recommend it for you..........

In a short word "No".

• Like Like x 1