Yep, another knee thread (pfs)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by t-rex, Dec 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. For the past year or so I have had this condition on my right knee.
    The symptoms of pfs are; pain whilst squatting on the last 30-35 degrees, swimming breaststroke, also a crunching grinding souund on the last 30-35 degrees of extention. Recently I have been getting a shooting pain sometimes while running when my right foot makes contact with the floor. Also I have noticed that when I try to stretch my IT band it feels like the muscle is coming out of the socket (hard to describe.) Also I have definatley realised that my vmo muscle on the right leg is smaller compared to the left leg especially the muscle around the inside of the knee cap.

I have been to the physio a few times and she advised me to strengthen the vmo muscles. Is that all that is needed? It seems impossible to do this without causing further irritation to the knee.

If there are any other sufferers out there with this condition I would be grateful for any advice you could offer me.

2. has anyone got any advice, a success story would be nice(one can dream)

3. Yeah I've got this too. Feels like an intense sharp pain on the outside of my left knee below the knee-cap. Hurts like **** so I've ditched the running for swimming and cycling.

It's alright if I'm walking, cycling or slow jogging but as soon as I up the pace it hurts.. Dunno what it is... I have to go back to CTC on the 7th, just hope it's cleared up by then. If not - 'brufen is my best friend!

4. Mate, have you been diagnosed with Patello-Femoral Syndrome by a doctor?

Knees are bloody atrociously designed bits of kit. There's loads that can go wrong with them. As you grow, your muscles influence the alignment of your bones and vice versa. What can happen to many people is that they become 'malaligned' in some way, which can lead to your patella not running straight up and down the groove made for it in the femur. This is very common. What can help is to try and 'balance' your knee again by strengthening certain muscles. Strengthening your quads as a whole will help to stabilise the joint, while working on particular parts will help too. Liase with your physio to sort out an exercise programme to achieve this.

The reason for your VMO (Vastis Medialis Origin) being underdeveloped is two-fold. The first is that this area is the quickest-lost muscle bulk in the quads. It is very noticable if one side is less than the other. You will probably find that the circumference of your right leg may be smaller than the left too, indicating a general loss of bulk in the quads. The other reason has to do with a reflex response to pain. When pain is received from within a joint, a reflex response occurs which reduces the nervous stimulation of the muscles surrounding it. As a result, the muscle is less stimulated and atrophies (weakens) faster.

Get your physio to suggest exercises for you to do to and choose low impact forms of excersise to maintain your fitness. You may find that glucosamine helps. It is beneficial for about 10% of people and helps the body heal damaged cartillage.

Good luck mate.

5. thanks for your reply docSTAB, very helpful. I've been doing physio for about 3months now. ahousl continue or go back to the doctor. It doesnt seem to be improving at all. Also could you tell me what surgery options there are, or is that a big no no

6. Talk to your physio first if you have any concerns about how your treatment is going. As for surgery, I don't know what could be done for PFS. Best talk to your doctor and ask for a referal to an orthopaedic surgeon for that.

Who diagnosed you first off? Was it your GP or an orthopaedic surgeon?

7. Hey, im suffering this aswell. Im tying to join the marines, but have had to put it on hold because of my knee. Ive had this for about 6-7 months now, but ive only been going to a good physio for about 3 months. The first physio i went to was gash. The one im seeing now though is quite good. She's got me doing these exercises to strengthen the muscles around my knee - quads, hamstrings, gleuteus.
    She said that surgery isnt really an option for this type of problem. Cant remember the reason though.....
    Im am getting better now, but it is taking an age.

8. I've had this for donkey's years too. At the moment I tend to get it out hill walking on steep climbs or descents.

I was lucky enough to get on an "early knees" course at Headley Court a few years back. They've developed a course that focuses on the VMO and recommended that I concentrated on that to help stabilise the knee. Worked a treat. Trouble is, as stabdoc says above, you need to maintain the exercise regime to keep the muscles in good shape. I started knocking the pies and avoiding the gym - sure the pain came back! Am back on the exercie prog again.... :oops:

9. Would agree to keep up with the exercies as they will make a difference in the end. It also important to remember that physio/rehab exercises are designed to increase muscle bulk, often rapidly. One side effect of this is muscle soreness much as you would get from running, weight training etc, so try to differenciate this from your own pain.

you could also ask your physio about taping, I occaisionally use this if patients cant do their exercises without pain.

Lastly it may be worth visiting a podiatrist for an assessment of your biomechanics as this can also make the problem worse if there is an underlying problem. Some military physio's will also do this.

Good luck