• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Yeomanry Seniority

I have heard of some strong discussions about the seniority of various squadrons within the Queen's Own Yeomanry. I would like to throw it out to an open forum, but in my opinion and that of previous court rulings the seniority is as follows:
C (Senior) Sqn
Y (Dart Board) Sqn
A (Cat Pigeon) Sqn
B (Horse) Sqn
D (Pot Noodle) Sqn

look at the seniority list on a qoy bottle of champagne. and you'll see b is in the middle. definately before ayr. but i'll check and let you know.

I'll vote for Ysqn to be moved up a bit just as I'm biased that way. Forrard!

That said C sqn is Scotlands senior (only?) yeomanry unit...

:)

QOY who???

Now are the Irish Horse part of this lot??

If they are surely they must be the senior because they came from the senior Yeomanry Regt!!!!

Good point Hog, there is also some debate over seniority within the senior Yeomanry regt (THE ROYAL YEOMANRY for the unsure!) A sqn (The Royal Wilts yeo) claim it. But!

To quote Richard Holmes from his Exellent book 'Redcoats'

Lord Winchelseas three troops of 'Gentlemen and Yeomanry of the county of Rutland' where the 1st units of the New Yeomanry Cavalry.(end quote)

As these were eventualy absorbed into the Leicestershire Yeomanry this makes B sqn The Leicestershire and Derbyshire (Prince Alberts Own) Yeomanry the senior.

I may be slightly biased but I think this holds water.

Comments?

We did get the Royal bit from the farmers but you do have a valid point me old! Wonder what Jimmy Walters and the farmers would think of that?!!!

antphilip said:
So if I was to become CO one day, you'd kiss my riding boots and proclaim to the world that the QOY is the best the Yeomanry has?
8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

as an old age pensioner by then, that might be considered agist in this day of mad political correctness garb :)

But until that day, you can continue to kiss my riding boots :)

Jennie

Hootch said:
Surely the Inns of Court Yeomanry is the senior Yeomanry.

- only Yeomanry to wear gold on Mess Kit etc
- established 1584
Intersting argument Hootch, the fact that youhave gold on your mess kit. I have always thought my mess kit had gold edging etc.

I am not disputing the Inns of court were formed in 1584, however.

Jennie

Jennie,

I'm not Inns of Court - but know a few - rather hard to miss the Devils Own in London.

I was informed that they are the only Yeomanry to wear gold. My Mess Kit , head dress etc all has Yeomanry silver.

Hog - yes the ICCY band is part of the RY

Latest Threads