Yemen

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the correction & the very interesting linked report of the 1967 floods - my post now corrected:thumright:
It stuck in my mind. We left in the March after two hot dry years, and were staying with my Aunt 'between MQs'. I remember watching pictures of the flooding on her TV.

(It flooded in black and white).

The following has also been posted to the main COVD-19 thread.

COVID-19 is now well and truly established in Yemen.
Yemen's misery now includes hundreds of COVID-19 deaths, according to health officials
The official count of infections and deaths is low, at 106 infections and 15 deaths. However, people are dying like flies, but the lack of testing and medical care means that few are being classified as COVID-19 deaths.

With the lack of a functional central government or public health service, evidence can only be anecdotal. As one example though a grave digger in Aden said he's never seen so many dead, even as a product of the civil war.
One gravedigger in Aden told AP he'd never seen such a constant flow of dead — even in a city that has seen multiple bouts of bloody street battles during the civil war.
The WHO are saying the situation could be disastrous, with up to half the population becoming infected and the potential for more than 40,000 dead.
"If you have a full-blown community transmission in Yemen, because of the fragility, because of the vulnerability, because of the susceptibility, it will be disastrous," said Altaf Musani, the World Health Organization chief in Yemen.

WHO says its models suggest that, under some scenarios, half of Yemen's population of 30 million could be infected and more than 40,000 could die.
The health system has collapsed because of the war, and if you get seriously ill you're basically stuffed as there are no more than 500 ventilators and 700 ICU beds in the entire country of 30 million. The WHO are trying to get more test kits and PPE for Yemen, but as well as the global shortage, the problems of Yemen make supplying them difficult.
Yemen has no more than 500 ventilators and 700 ICU beds nationwide. There is one oxygen cylinder per month for every 2.5 million people. WHO provided some 6,700 test kits to Yemen, split between north and south, and said another 32,000 are coming. The health agency said it is trying to procure more protective equipment and supplies to fight the virus. But WHO said efforts have been hampered because of travel restrictions and competition with other countries.
The south is in chaos and nobody is in charge. Health personnel have little in the way of PPE, and are terrified of treating anyone with symptoms. Many medical facilities have closed as the staff have fled or turn patients away. If you are suspected of having COVID-19 in Aden, nobody will treat you.
The south is a picture of utter collapse: rival factions within the U.S.-backed coalition are battling for control. No one appears to be in charge as an already wrecked health system seems to have completely shut down.

Health personnel, with little protective equipment, are terrified of treating anyone suspected of having the coronavirus.

Many medical facilities in Aden have closed as staffers flee or simply turn patients away. No one is answering a hotline set up by UN-trained Rapid Response Teams to test suspected cases at home.

"If you are suspected of having corona and you are in Aden, most probably you will wait at home for your death," said Mohammed Roubaid, deputy head of the Aden health office.
In the north things are bad as well, but the rebels are suppressing any information about the outbreak there.
In the north, meanwhile, the Houthi rebels in power there are waging a campaign to aggressively suppress any information about the scale of the outbreak, even as doctors told the AP of increasing infections and deaths.
Much of the story is about how the political situation in Yemen is affecting efforts to contain the outbreak there and is worth reading for those details.

The following has also been posted to the main COVD-19 thread.

COVID-19 is now well and truly established in Yemen.
Yemen's misery now includes hundreds of COVID-19 deaths, according to health officials
The official count of infections and deaths is low, at 106 infections and 15 deaths. However, people are dying like flies, but the lack of testing and medical care means that few are being classified as COVID-19 deaths.

With the lack of a functional central government or public health service, evidence can only be anecdotal. As one example though a grave digger in Aden said he's never seen so many dead, even as a product of the civil war.

The WHO are saying the situation could be disastrous, with up to half the population becoming infected and the potential for more than 40,000 dead.

The health system has collapsed because of the war, and if you get seriously ill you're basically stuffed as there are no more than 500 ventilators and 700 ICU beds in the entire country of 30 million. The WHO are trying to get more test kits and PPE for Yemen, but as well as the global shortage, the problems of Yemen make supplying them difficult.

The south is in chaos and nobody is in charge. Health personnel have little in the way of PPE, and are terrified of treating anyone with symptoms. Many medical facilities have closed as the staff have fled or turn patients away. If you are suspected of having COVID-19 in Aden, nobody will treat you.

In the north things are bad as well, but the rebels are suppressing any information about the outbreak there.

Much of the story is about how the political situation in Yemen is affecting efforts to contain the outbreak there and is worth reading for those details.
Well Saudi, UAE and Iran are rich countries who have been fighting this war and are next to it should sort it out. Arab solutions to Arab problems, although Iran is not an Arab country it has caused enough problems in Arabia.

Well Saudi, UAE and Iran are rich countries who have been fighting this war and are next to it should sort it out. Arab solutions to Arab problems, although Iran is not an Arab country it has caused enough problems in Arabia.
I have a feeling that beyond the WHO organising a limited amount of test kits and PPE for them, Yemen aren't going to receive much help from anyone.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I have a feeling that beyond the WHO organising a limited amount of test kits and PPE for them, Yemen aren't going to receive much help from anyone.
Whilst I feel sorry for individuals, I cannot feel sorry for the country. The waste of roads, schools, hospitals, irrigation, housing and dams that we left them in 1967 has been atrocious.

Whilst I feel sorry for individuals, I cannot feel sorry for the country. The waste of roads, schools, hospitals, irrigation, housing and dams that we left them in 1967 has been atrocious.
If you look at the comments section on YouTube videos posted about the British miltary in Aden, there are a lot from Yemenis from Aden who say that the British period was a golden era, or there parents said it was, and wish the British were back. The same as Africans in Zimbabwe looking fondly back to Ian Smith and Rhodesia to what they have now.

Latest Threads