Yemen

Further signs of softening of American support for the Saudi campaign in Yemen has emerged. Crown Prince charm offensive: 4 reasons Saudi Arabia's reformist royal is courting Trump

The US has been providing important refueling support for Saudi and UAE bombing efforts in Yemen, and also intelligence.
U.S. Air Force tankers have been refuelling Saudi jets before bombing runs and providing intelligence, and have been providing assistance to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates since 2015.

"The Saudis will want America's support on its military hardware," said Hossein Askari, a former mediator between the Iranian and Saudi governments during the 1990s. "They like to get America's maybe covert help, but it's very dangerous because if American soldiers are caught in Yemen and killed, this would further inflame the region."
The US Congress has been pushing resolutions to end US support for the war.
Congress has been pushing resolutions to end U.S. support for the Saudi-led war in Yemen.
Part of the reason for this is that there is a belief in the US that the Saudi bombing campaign is counter-productive, and contrary to US interests. The large number of civilian deaths inspire more recruits to join Islamic militant groups.
Although U.S. provision of arms and logistics support for the war in Yemen might be good in the short run for U.S.-Saudi relations, Askari said, it could became a "headache" for the West if civilian deaths in Yemen can be traced back to American-made munitions.

"Every time someone gets killed because a bomb is dropped and 10 or 15 or 100 people die, these things mushroom into thousands of recruits against the U.S. and against Great Britain."

An air strike by the Saudi coalition hit a wedding party in Yemen, killing at least 20.
Saudi airstrike kills at least 20 at Yemen wedding | CBC News
An airstrike by the Saudi-led coalition hit a wedding party in northern Yemen, killing at least 20 people, according to health officials.
This is the third air strike in Yemen to hit civilians since the weekend.
Harrowing images have emerged on social media of the deadly bombing, the third to hit Yemeni civilians since the weekend.
Most of the dead were women and children, including the bride.
Khaled al-Nadhri, the top health official in the northern province of Hajja, told The Associated Press that most of the dead were women and children who were gathered in one of the tents set up for the wedding party late Sunday in the Bani Qayis district. He said the bride was also among the dead.
There were approximately 45 wounded, including at least 30 children. Some of the children were in critical condition with fragment wounds and severed limbs.
After the wedding strike, the groom and 45 of the wounded were brought to the al-Jomhouri hospital, said the facility's manager, Mohammed al-Sawmali. Health authorities called on people to donate blood.

Ali Nasser al-Azib, deputy head of the hospital, said 30 children were among the wounded, some in critical condition with shrapnel wounds and severed limbs.
Ambulances were unable to reach the bombing site due to fear of additional air strikes while the jets continued to fly overhead.
Health ministry spokesperson Abdel-Hakim al-Kahlan said ambulances were initially unable to reach the site of the bombing for fear of subsequent airstrikes as the jets continued to fly overhead.
Another air strike on the weekend hit a house, killing a family of five.
It was the third deadly airstrike in Yemen since the weekend. An airstrike on Sunday night hit a house elsewhere in Hajja, killing a family of five, according to al-Nadhri.
At least 20 civilians were killed in yet another air strike on a commuter bus on the weekend.
On Saturday, at least 20 civilians were killed when coalition fighter jets bombed a bus carrying commuters in western Yemen, near the city of Taiz, ...
The Saudi coalition has refused to comment on these.
The Saudi-led coalition has declined to comment on the strikes.
The head of the UN condemned the air strikes on civilians, reminded the involved parties about international law, and called for an immediate, transparent, and thorough investigation.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned the airstrikes on the wedding party and on civilian vehicles in Taiz and reminded all parties of their obligations under international humanitarian law to protect civilians in armed conflict, UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said Monday.

The UN chief called for "a prompt, effective and transparent investigation," Dujarric said.
I will add that I'm not holding my breath waiting for such an investigation.

One third of the nearly 17,000 air strikes since the war began have hit civilian targets, according to "Yemen Data Project" (I'm not familiar with that organisation). Millions of Yemenis have been been made refugees in a war which is all but ignored by the west.
According to the independent monitor Yemen Data Project, one-third of the 16,847 airstrikes since the war started have hit non-military targets.

Over the past three years, more than 10,000 civilians have been killed and tens of thousands wounded, while over three million people have been displaced because of the fighting.

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
An air strike by the Saudi coalition hit a wedding party in Yemen, killing at least 20.
Saudi airstrike kills at least 20 at Yemen wedding | CBC News

This is the third air strike in Yemen to hit civilians since the weekend.

Most of the dead were women and children, including the bride.

There were approximately 45 wounded, including at least 30 children. Some of the children were in critical condition with fragment wounds and severed limbs.

Ambulances were unable to reach the bombing site due to fear of additional air strikes while the jets continued to fly overhead.

Another air strike on the weekend hit a house, killing a family of five.

At least 20 civilians were killed in yet another air strike on a commuter bus on the weekend.

The Saudi coalition has refused to comment on these.

The head of the UN condemned the air strikes on civilians, reminded the involved parties about international law, and called for an immediate, transparent, and thorough investigation.

I will add that I'm not holding my breath waiting for such an investigation.

One third of the nearly 17,000 air strikes since the war began have hit civilian targets, according to "Yemen Data Project" (I'm not familiar with that organisation). Millions of Yemenis have been been made refugees in a war which is all but ignored by the west.
No-one bats an eyelid

No-one bats an eyelid
There were previous news reports, which I believe were posted earlier in this thread, about some western officials being worried about finding themselves held responsible in future if they were found to have been aiding and abetting Saudi war crimes through the sort of assistance they have been giving. Not much seems to have come of it though.

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Perhaps people just aren't outraged!
Are you outraged?
Why shouldn't I be?

It's an appalling outcome that should be condemned, rather than a footnote.

The proportion of media and political response to this atrocity relative to the apparent CW use in Syria is all out of whack, in my view

Why shouldn't I be?

The proportion of media and political response to this atrocity relative to the apparent CW use in Syria is all out of whack, in my view
I merely asked if you were outraged, I didn't say you shouldnt be, and similarly didn't say you should be outraged.

As you mention atrocity I take it you are inferring thincident was deliberate and not a mistake?

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
I merely asked if you were outraged, I didn't say you shouldnt be, and similarly didn't say you should be outraged.

As you mention atrocity I take it you are inferring thincident was deliberate and not a mistake?
Does any of that really matter?

Wedding party decimated. End result the same.

Big PR win

Does any of that really matter?

Wedding party decimated. End result the same.

Big PR win
You make a good point, each and everyone of those killed at the wedding would have died at some stage..............ergo, end result the same, and yet you are outraged ;)

In the four minutes since you posted six people have commited suicide, four have been murdered and two have died in armed conflict in the world.
How much air time can each bad event have, just the 1440 murders per day would require 24 hour coverage.

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
You make a good point, each and everyone of those killed at the wedding would have died at some stage..............ergo, end result the same, and yet you are outraged ;)

In the four minutes since you posted six people have commited suicide, four have been murdered and two have died in armed conflict in the world.
How much air time can each bad event have, just the 1440 murders per day would require 24 hour coverage.
That's alright then

Next time some Arabs get gassed to death, I'll remind myself that

I see whilst the use of CW was apparently happening in Syria, a suspicious wedding was blown up in Yemen, killing the bride groom.

But it attracts little media coverage because it was perpetrated by our allies, using western kit.

Wedding Is Hit by Airstrike in Yemen, Killing More Than 20
Yawn

How unexpected the usual faux outrage and bull shit claims that the bbc doesn't report weddings bombed by our friends .

Its funny if theres never any coverage how so many know about it to be outraged - especially if it was the Americans -

Its almost as if the claims its not reported are false.

Yawn

How unexpected the usual faux outrage and bull shit claims that the bbc doesn't report weddings bombed by our friends .

Its funny if theres never any coverage how so many know about it to be outraged - especially if it was the Americans -

Its almost as if the claims its not reported are false.
The press reports on it occasionally, but infrequently enough that this thread may go for several months without any new posts because of a lack of mainstream news to base it on.

There are also virtually no western government press flacks pushing out press releases about how outraged they are, in contrast to wars they want to attract attention to.

Saudi Arabia is notably unfriendly towards a free press, making it difficult to get news from there. Much of Yemen itself is under tight blockade, making it difficult to access for journalists.

There are NGOs and charities who want to see the war reported on more, but they are being given a stiff ignoring by the people who can make that happen.

The UN is calling the Yemen war one of the world's greatest humanitarian crises, but they are also being ignored by those who can do something about it.

There's very little of a Yemeni émigré population in the west itself to push the news, and the countries where they do exist are favoured western allies who practice very ferocious press censorship regimes.

Calls for arms embargoes against countries who are being accused of perpetrating war crimes are also being ignored, with western arms sales taps being kept wide open and western governments brushing off complaints by their own citizens.

With all the above being taken together, it is pretty hard to maintain the pretence that the selective outrage being voiced by western governments is little more than a fig leaf for national self interest.

I'm not suggesting that we do anything about it, but we should at least be honest with ourselves as to what we are doing.

Why shouldn't I be?

I’ll condemn the alleged strike on a wedding party as are you. I also hope somebody is helping the Saudi’s with their targeting.

I hope you’ve made your point on here about Iranian supplies to the Houthi rebels. I also hope you’ve condemned Iranian support to Assad prolonging his civil war rather than complying with another of those ‘pesky’ unanimous Resolutions. 2254 in this case.

I sincerely hope you’re not comparing the previously confirmed use of CW by Assad’s govt despite UNSCR 2118 (again unanimous) his continued use of it and the vetoing by Russia of any mechanism to attribute blame, with strikes in Yemen?

Must admit, I don’t recall you condemning Assad’s govt and Russia with the carpet bombing of Aleppo or E Ghouta for example. Can you point me to those posts? Or are you another who condemns the actions of KSA and ignores Assad’s govt and Russian actions?

Surely all actions against civilians should be condemned? Especially with flagrant breaches of the use of CW against all conventions particularly those they’ve signed up to?

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
With all the above being taken together, it is pretty hard to maintain the pretence that the selective outrage being voiced by western governments is little more than a fig leaf for national self interest.
This in a nutshell.

I'm well beyond seeing our Western leadership ever acting out of a genuine sense of humanitarian concern.

We're perfectly happy to turn a blind eye when making billions in arms sales to keep the war ticking along.

I'm not doubting there are well intentioned people working in the machine of western foreign policy. It's just that the machine itself doesn't reallly care about humanitarian disaster.

All in my view, of course

Baglock

On ROPS
On ROPs
I’ll condemn the alleged strike on a wedding party as are you. I also hope somebody is helping the Saudi’s with their targeting.

I hope you’ve made your point on here about Iranian supplies to the Houthi rebels. I also hope you’ve condemned Iranian support to Assad prolonging his civil war rather than complying with another of those ‘pesky’ unanimous Resolutions. 2254 in this case.

I sincerely hope you’re not comparing the previously confirmed use of CW by Assad’s govt despite UNSCR 2118 (again unanimous) his continued use of it and the vetoing by Russia of any mechanism to attribute blame, with strikes in Yemen?

Must admit, I don’t recall you condemning Assad’s govt and Russia with the carpet bombing of Aleppo or E Ghouta for example. Can you point me to those posts? Or are you another who condemns the actions of KSA and ignores Assad’s govt and Russian actions?

Surely all actions against civilians should be condemned? Especially with flagrant breaches of the use of CW against all conventions particularly those they’ve signed up to?
The actions of Assad are deplorable.

The response and recognition of civilian killings, weddings and CW seem to be disproportionate in my view.

The actions of Assad are deplorable.

The response and recognition of civilian killings, weddings and CW seem to be disproportionate in my view.
I agree, and Russia and Iran in supporting his actions. But I don’t believe vetoes for allies on things like CW (or any WMD) should be used. There’s a reason why the vast majority signed up to the CWC. Much like the Resolutions on DPRK include his CW and BW as well as nukes.

If Iran stopped supplying the Houthi’s Yemen could stand a chance. The problem is, like Syria it has a plethora of problems. Water being the primary one. I can’t see an ascendant Houthi/Iranian govt being particularly helpful with oil and gas supplies.

CW (like any WMD) are treated differently for a reason.