Yellow Torches

there is a key tool, fit to the triangulated bit on the bottom and turn, torch then opens...if its the right angled version then I can't help, too long since I saw one.

GW

Try unscrewing the lens from the housing, anti-clockwise. Like the old search torches

Do you mean those really pants head torches we got given?

If so, bin it. They're gash.

Get a sledge hammer and a roll of black nasty.

Then do what comes naturally :D

chocolate_frog said:
Get a sledge hammer and a roll of black nasty.

Then do what comes naturally :D
Is he supposed to be changing the bulb/battery or going on a date? 8O

gloworm said:
there is a key tool, fit to the triangulated bit on the bottom and turn, torch then opens...if its the right angled version then I can't help, too long since I saw one.

GW
Know the one you mean. This is it - I think the replacement for the one you are talking about.

The sledgehammer and black nasty option might be a go-er. 8O

Is it a case of changing the entire lamp assy?

I thought you meant the ones with the triangular key as well.

General Melchett said:
Is it a case of changing the entire lamp assy?
Thought that, but then why supply spare bulbs in the base?

The nearest that I can find to instructions is
The Torch has a stainless steel EX ´e´ self locking bulb capsule. This allows the torch to be opened safely in hazardous area to change the capsule if the bulb has blown.

putteesinmyhands said:
Tried that. Think this is Safety Torch EX250.

Phone the Sales Department of the manufacturer? +44 (0)20 8443 7420

Wait!

Freephone: +44 (0)845 844 4000

SA EQUIPMENT (SALES), Enfield, United Kingdom, Edison Point, Millmarsh Lane, Enfield, EN3 7DS

Edit:

Found their website: http://www.saequip.com/

Are these not intrinsically safe torches for use in explosive atmospheres?

If so, do they not have to be returned to the authorised repair agency for testing after being opened?

...Usually the reason that it is difficult to get in to a bit of kit, is because you are not supposed to!

Damaged intrinsically safe equipment has to be repaired by somebody competent, usually an authorised repairer, but replacing batteries and the bulb in a torch is a user responsibility - that's why they're supplied with a key. The lock should be fashioned in such a way that releasing it cuts the power before the casing can be opened. I've seen loads of "dud" batteries thrown away because the user hasn't locked the case shut before checking that the bulb lights.

The big problem is that when you draw them from G10, no instructions are given with them (presumably thrown away with the packaging - after all, it's only a torch), so you have to work everything out for yourself - and each manufacturer has different ideas about how to lock the case.

Just to add, some torches have a sealed beam unit that is, indeed, a workshop job because the unit forms part of the outer shell.

Detonator said:
Here is a picture of the lamp assembly. How the hell do you open that? :?

These are a bastard to open, you should of been supplied a tool along with the torch to do this.

If you need to open it then do this:

You see the little slit in the side, the little cut away at the top of the unit, this are the part which allows you to unlock it.

You have to push the piece of metal behind the slit in all the way and then twist to open.

Make sure to re-seal properly when your done, or else there is a much larger chance of moisture entering the houseing.