Yellow split peas

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gobbyidiot, Dec 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. These are less than half the price of lentils, but they don't taste quite as good and they stick like buggery to the arse of the pan. I think, however, that I've got them sussed. Loads of onions fixes the taste and leaving spuds out of the mix stops them sticking.

pint of yellow split peas soaked in loads of water overnight.
    drain
    chuck in some fish - I use a couple of bits of frozen Alaskan pollock, which is ridiculously cheap
    half a tube of tomato puree
    25 dried parsley (optional)
    5 chopped onions (vital)
    5 cloves chopped garlic (equally vital)
    tablespoon of yeast extract and three pints of boiling water for stock, or some stock cubes or proper stock.

On a normal cooker it might take an hour, hour and a half, and you would need to make sure it isn't sticking, and you might have to add a splash of boiling water. I give it forty minutes in a pressure cooker, though, with a low heat and the steam just trickling out, and that does the trick.

The tomato puree and yeast extract means it comes out as a thick, dark soup/chowder. If you leave it overnight it sets virtually solid and can be stuck in the fridge.

Tha above quantities makes about 4-5 pints of what can only be called "concentrate". Half a pint of milk into one pint of concentrate makes a massive soup. Half a jar of curry sauce and a splodge of water into a pint of concentrate makes a decent curry/dall.

Cooking pulses in a pressure cooker is much easier, but it is a bit of an art. If the fragments block the port and you turn the heat up the whole lot will vent onto the cooker.

[Subconsciously I think I'm trying to make good my stockmarket losses through my diet, which might take a while :( ]

2. Cook them with an onion and a hunk of ham. When soft puree and 'voila' - pease pudding! That good old northern staple.

3. Or if you're an idle cnut you can just buy a tin of pease pudding...which is what I do!