Yellow Armband for Iranian Jews

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Arik, May 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nice fellows those Iranians! This also affects other religions.

A copy and paste but this story hit Israel's newspapers today:

May. 19, 2006 18:54 | Updated May. 19, 2006 20:20
    New Iranian law to require Jews to wear yellow band
    By JPOST.COM STAFF

A new dress-code law reportedly passed in Iran this past week mandates the government to make sure that religious minorities - Christians, Jews and Zoroastrians - will have to adopt distinct colour schemes to make them identifiable in public, the Canadian National Post reported on Friday.

Under the new law, which still awaits final approval from Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Jews will have to wear a yellow band on their exterior in public, while Christians will be required to don red ones.

Furthermore, according to the law, the Iranian government has envisioned that all Iranians wear "standard Islamic garments" designed to remove ethnic and class distinctions.

The purpose for the law was to prevent Muslims from becoming najis "unclean" by accidentally shaking the hands of non-Muslims in public.

"The new law resembles the Holocaust," said head of the Simon Wiesenthal Center in Los Angeles, Rabbi Marvin Heir, and warned that, "Iran was nearing Nazi Ideology."

According to Army Radio, Wiesenthal Center officials sent a letter to United Nations Director General Kofi Annan urging him "not to ignore" the new law, and reminded him that, "The world ignored Hitler for many years."

The new law was drafted during the presidency of Muhammad Khatami in 2004, but was blocked. That blockage, however, has been removed under pressure from current President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

According to Ahmadinejad, reported the National Post, the new Islamic uniforms will establish "visual equality" for Iranians as they prepare for the return of the Hidden Imam.

The final shape of the uniforms is yet to be established but there is consensus on a number of points

2. Hmm, sounds familar.

3. ....if true.

A cunning bit of propaganda from our masters across the pond to whip up a bit of support?

4. Hopefully......................otherwise very sinister indeed :(

5. Indeed. If true, they arent exactly doing themselves many favours in the 'Dont invade us, we're alright sort of extremist Muslims' department.

6. Could be, but I suppose the question may be (in Israel's case), Iran has publicly talked about wiping Israel off the face of the earth, he can get away with that. If Iran does institute this, what next? Allow them to move onto the next stages of their extremist ambitions and just put it down to propaganda / he wont ever do that type of outlook?

One of Israel's purposes is to protect Jews everywhere if at threat, this would be a very uncomfortable position for the State and if the world did nothing (besides diplomatic talk) I think you would find Jewish communities in many countries feeling very uncomfortable also.

7. But independent reporter Meir Javedanfar, an Israeli Middle East expert who was born and raised in Tehran, says the report is false.
    "It's absolutely factually incorrect," he told The New 940 Montreal.
    "Nowhere in the law is there any talk of Jews and Christians having to wear different colours. I've checked it with sources both inside Iran and outside."
    "The Iranian people would never stand for it. The Iranian government wouldn't be stupid enough to do it."

8. I very much hope that is the case, I have met many Jewish refugees from Iran over the years and I would not like to see the community there harmed/polarised further.

9. This is horrendous if true. However, I always take a sceptical view of media reports of 'new laws being proposed' in foreign countries. There are some pretty eccentric Early Day Motions sumitted in our own Parliament but the vast, vast majority of EDMs have absolutely no chance of ever becoming law and the situation is probably similar in most national political forums across the world.

10. Can't find any other reference to this apart from your post, me ole four-bee -two. So do you have any other sources?

MsG

11. Look on Ha'aretz website and Ynet (both Israeli mainstream media), English language part. I take it by your reference to me this policy is something that you may agree with?

Ynet: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3252830,00.html

Check ha'aretz for yourself.

12. So, totally neutral in its reporting then? 8O

13. I found this on yahoo.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060519/wl_canada_afp/iranrightsreligion

OTTAWA (AFP) - The Canadian and Australian prime ministers expressed concern at unconfirmed reports that said Iran may force non-Muslims to wear colored badges in public so they can be identified.

The National Post newspaper reported Friday, citing human rights groups, that Iran's parliament passed a law this week that sets a public dress code and requires non-Muslims to wear a special insignia.

Jews, Christians and Zoroastrians would be forced to wear a yellow, red or blue strip of cloth, respectively, on the front of their clothes, according to the newspaper.

"Anything of that kind would be totally repugnant to civilized countries, if it's the case, and something that would just further indicate to me the nature of this regime," Australia's Prime Minister John Howard told reporters during an official visit to Ottawa.

"It would be appalling," he added.

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said he had "only seen reports" about the law but commented he would not be surprised by them.

"Unfortunately, we have seen enough already from the Iranian regime to suggest that it is very capable of this kind of action," he said.

"It think it boggles the mind that any regime on the face of the earth would want to do anything that could remind people of Nazi Germany," he added.

"The fact that such a measure could even be contemplated, I think, is absolutely abhorent."

Earlier, Harper's parliamentary secretary, Jason Kenney, told the House of Commons that Canadian officials were trying to verify the claims and said Ottawa is "deeply concerned".

"Should these reports turn out to be true, this government will condemn in the strongest terms possible this kind of revisiting of the darkest period of the last century. It is something that the entire civilized world should condemn," Kenney said

14. Sounds like it could be a exgartion of a half truth, such as maybe Islamic garments are to be more adpoted or the such like and dear god lets hope it is that!!

This, if true, is a dispturbing echo from the past that the modern world should not have to repeat! I would invisage that this would casue up roar from the Islamic comunity if this was a reverse situation i.e. if Israel stated that all non-Jewish people would have to start wearing coloured arm bands I would imagine that it would make for a very volotial time!! Espically with the use of the term "Unclean" which creates an deminutive view of other faiths.

Well lets just hope that it is a media flash in the pan!