Yediot Ahronot: IDF in decline.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3427439,00.html

Failed leaders responsible for IDF decline

...while IDF soldiers fought in the first Lebanon war and in the territories, government leaders and Knesset members partook in the weddings of grandsons of Hassidic rabbis, who do not only avoid the draft but also do not consider themselves committed to the State of Israel.

Meanwhile, Knesset members "arrange" a safe post for their kids in the army; prime ministers and ministers are suspected of making it rich honestly or not so honestly, and artists get frequent air time despite openly avoiding the draft.
Following the sweeping exemption and subsequent increase in the number of Orthodox who do not serve in the army, there has been a parallel increase in the number of secular youngsters who choose not to serve in the army, and I am not talking about deprived youth in secular society.

Under such circumstances, we shouldn't wonder why the percentage of youngsters who feel they have no commitment towards the army increases ever year.

Schaden

LE
Book Reviewer
Shouldn't have listened to Rummy and bought all that Gee Whiz shiny kit from the Yanks........

KGB_resident said:

...while IDF soldiers fought in the first Lebanon war and in the territories, government leaders and Knesset members partook in the weddings of grandsons of Hassidic rabbis, who do not only avoid the draft but also do not consider themselves committed to the State of Israel.

Meanwhile, Knesset members "arrange" a safe post for their kids in the army; prime ministers and ministers are suspected of making it rich honestly or not so honestly, and artists get frequent air time despite openly avoiding the draft.
Following the sweeping exemption and subsequent increase in the number of Orthodox who do not serve in the army, there has been a parallel increase in the number of secular youngsters who choose not to serve in the army, and I am not talking about deprived youth in secular society.

Under such circumstances, we shouldn't wonder why the percentage of youngsters who feel they have no commitment towards the army increases ever year.

And where is this any different than any country in the world including the UK and the Russian Federation. Political leaders have always sent other people's sons an daughters into danger while looking after their own . This hardly rates as news in my opinion.

craftsmanx said:
KGB_resident said:

And where is this any different than any country in the world including the UK and the Russian Federation. Political leaders have always sent other people's sons an daughters into danger while looking after their own . This hardly rates as news in my opinion.
Though there are some exceptions. Son of genaral Shpak (commander of Russian paratrooper forces then, now he is a governor) was killed in Chechnya. Sons of American generals (at least some of them) don't sit in comfortable armchairs in Pentagon as well.

combatintman said:
And? WTF is your point?
As for British politicians, business and financial elite, those that really own the country then they prefer not to send their kids to such unhospitable places as Iraq or Afghanistan. Or maybe there are exception?

Sergey, if we're going to talk about politicians children etc., then you'll be extremely hard pressed to find any in the military in the UK, USA, Russia, France, et al.

This isn't news, this is well known the world over, and I would question your motive. You have a problem with Israel, that's been established.

The_Goon said:
Sergey, if we're going to talk about politicians children etc., then you'll be extremely hard pressed to find any in the military in the UK, USA, Russia, France, et al.

This isn't news, this is well known the world over, and I would question your motive. You have a problem with Israel, that's been established.
Personally I haven't any problems with Israel. Nice people, inventive, friendly (to those who are friendly to them).

My motives are simple. I'm here just for fun. I'm fond of conversting, ranting with those who like this business.

Your remark about children of politicians, tycoons, who as a rule avoid military service is generally correct. Moreover, it is interesting to look at (though rare) exceptions.

KGB_resident said:
The_Goon said:

Personally I haven't any problems with Israel. Nice people, inventive, friendly (to those who are friendly to them).

My motives are simple. I'm here just for fun. I'm fond of conversting, ranting with those who like this business.

Your remark about children of politicians, tycoons, who as a rule avoid military service is generally correct. Moreover, it is interesting to look at (though rare) exceptions.
Sergey ensures that the british military is up to snuff on all the wrongdoings of Israel (I would never say that disinformation is a full time job for Sergey(s))

He must have been on holiday last week. Although I would never say that Sergey works for a Russian counter-intelligence agency, and I would never say that he pretty much works 24-7 finding ways to discredit Israel in the most oblique manner possible, and wouldn' certainly ever say that he has nothing but the peace and welfare of the region, as long as Israel isn't in the picture.

I would also never say that Sergey was an anti-semite, in fact he loves Israel so much that he only wants to effect improvement to the country by pointing out all the anti-Israeli propaganda postings, misguided news posts, and of course the occasional slight when describing his position.

Sergey elightens us all and certainly has the brightest smile, I'm sure he would shed some tears (Crocodile) if anything ever happened to that sovereign nation.

I would never say that Sergey has nothing but the truth in mind when it comes to Israel, literally.

ghost_us said:
KGB_resident said:
The_Goon said:

Sergey ensures that the british military is up to snuff on all the wrongdoings of Israel (I would never say that disinformation is a full time job for Sergey(s))

He (why not they?) must have been on holiday I have been to Siberia last week. Although I would never say that Sergey works for a Russian counter-intelligence agency right, and I would never say that he pretty much works 24-7 finding ways to discredit ??? to inform about interesting ivents in Israel in the most oblique manner possible, and wouldn' certainly ever say that he has nothing but the peace and welfare of the region, as long as Israel isn't in the picture.

I would also never say that Sergey was an anti-semite right. I'm not, in fact he loves Israel of course so much that he only wants to effect improvement to the country by pointing out all the anti-Israeli propaganda ??? information from respectable Israeli newspapers postings, misguided news posts, and of course the occasional slight when describing his position.

Sergey elightens us all and certainly has the brightest smile, I'm sure he would shed some tears (Crocodile) if anything ever happened to that sovereign nation.

I would never say that Sergey has nothing but the truth in mind when it comes to Israel, literally.
Just today I sent 3 e-mails to Israel, to engineers of our partner firm. Likely soon I will visit Israel, Jerusalem exactly. Israel is very valuable country with huge intellectual potential. I use expression 'our Israeli friends' and never use expression 'our Arab friends'.

Yes, like you it or not I support left Israeli politicians, peace movement and wish our Israeli friends all the best.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KGB_resident Current Affairs, News and Analysis 120