Yeah yeah...I know....

Not a fan, I am assuming. ...whatever did they do to you in particular?
Range staff on my H15 P(Non)DT...

Deciding they couldn't get enough to drink in the Mess, so would bring tins back to the block, and carry on drinking, not GAF if they woke people up at >0100

They were DS'ing LFTT....

They also sent some blokes to the US on Exchange; drank so much they could't do the phys (blamed it on the heat) and, having been lent a driver for what was supposed to be a short period, hugely abused his good nature and kept him out all night, ferrying then from bar to bar.

I knew the CO of the programme at the time and gleefully grassed them up.

@Pob02 is another fan of theirs...

To the OP, Not hard to find;
63 (UKSF) Signal Squadron

I've had dealings with them in the past and been to their gaff a few times on the island. Can't say I was taken with them one way or the other to be honest.
My only dealings with them were medical and exercice related.
They certainly acted far less special than 4/73 Battery who would always point out that they had to have everything now because "I'm 4/73 you know" or "it's for Sphinx" (wink), and very, very occasionally "but we are special forces"

They certainly acted far less special than 4/73 Battery who would always point out that they had to have everything now because "I'm 4/73 you know" or "it's for Sphinx" (wink), and very, very occasionally "but we are special forces"
That's because they are a lot less special, bordering on wank.

Oddly enough I came across this bunch in G*relochhead.

Was either their selection process of PJNCO cadre; a female driver had overturned a Land Rover (not for the first time, apparently) and they'd sent out a NODUFF, and we sent some blokes out to help.

Slightly worrying for baby dropshort FOOs, the grid they'd given us to get us to the right piece of road was at least a K out...

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
Range staff on my H15 P(Non)DT...

Deciding they couldn't get enough to drink in the Mess, so would bring tins back to the block, and carry on drinking, not GAF if they woke people up at >0100

They were DS'ing LFTT....

They also sent some blokes to the US on Exchange; drank so much they could't do the phys (blamed it on the heat) and, having been lent a driver for what was supposed to be a short period, hugely abused his good nature and kept him out all night, ferrying then from bar to bar.

I knew the CO of the programme at the time and gleefully grassed them up.

@Pob02 is another fan of theirs...
Similar US Exchange programme experience of them ( albeit a different time and place than @Bravo_Bravo ).
2 of them, both complained about the heat and humidity and swerved morning PT . . plus came off exercise phase early.

Also bad experience of their previous alter-ego, The Tyne Tees Regiment. Did a HO/TO from them at Basra Airport. A more unprofessional budge of lazy mouth-breathers I have never met.

Last edited:
Similar US Exchange programme experience of them ( albeit a different time and place than @Bravo_Bravo ).
2 of them, both complained about the heat and humidity and swerved morning PT . . plus came off exercise phase early.

Also bad experience of their previous alter-ego, The Tyne Tees Regiment. Did a HO/TO from them at Basra Airport. A more unprofessional budge of lazy mouth-breathers I have never met.
The first TA unit to be compulsively mobilised since the Suez Crisis apparently. Also an antecedent regiment of my Great Grandfather’s old mob, the Durham Light Infantry. Thank god they also live on in 5 Rifles.

Pob02

LE
Book Reviewer
The first TA unit to be compulsively mobilised since the Suez Crisis apparently. Also an antecedent regiment of my Great Grandfather’s old mob, the Durham Light Infantry. Thank god they also live on in 5 Rifles.
And 8 Rifles.....

but its wrong the first lot to be mobilised as a unit that actually deployed as a unit was 131 commando engineer Sqn the first TA unit to be called up in its entirety was 165 sport and pastime but they didnt deploy as a unit only as odds and sodds, they took up most of the slack at marchwood while 17 were getting suntans in kuwait, i saw no one from the Tynne Tees Regt (and i knew some of them from courses) until their composite FP company turned up at basra palace at the start of july 2003 apart from one of the platton sgts they were mostly clowns

edited to add 5 trifles now there is(or A company was in 2006 anyway) another bunch of people to avoid on ops

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
velcrostripes The NAAFI Bar 33
jarrod248 The NAAFI Bar 350
brummieboy1 The NAAFI Bar 8