Yeah! Lets 'tax' the motorists some more!

I ******* hate preachy keep it to the speed limits answers, ..... ah bollocks in the Int cell forum so I'll keep the rest to my sen.
Don't worry, when they put up the fines for vandalising parked cars you can post about how it's the sort of thing that everyone does, and point out that it's just a 'tax on Stanleyknifeists.'

Wonder how many people die each year as a result of fixation by driver on his speedo (instrument not trunks) not the road?
I can't remember where I read it, (It might have been mentioned on top gear), but I am sure a few years ago "Checking my speedo as I went past a speed camera" was a contributing factor in 3 crashes resulting in fatalities.

Z

Zarathustra

I don't see the issue, I don't have a problem with people who break the speed limit as long as they're sensible about it i.e not doing 120mph down the M6 at rushhour, but I've no sympathy for those who get caught, everyone knows the speed limits for the roads, if you don't there are plenty of signs around telling you and most speed cameras are bright yellow*.

*Except for people hiding in the bushes with a speed gun and the variable ones on the motor way.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Don't worry, when they put up the fines for vandalising parked cars you can post about how it's the sort of thing that everyone does, and point out that it's just a 'tax on Stanleyknifeists.'
Don't be stupid. There's a hell of a difference between inadvertently allowing your speed to go over a random limit and deliberately damaging someone's car.

I got a speeding ticket last year when I was in a hire car (Mt first ticket in many years). On a quiet motorway in perfect weather in Scotland, I got pinged by a mobile camera on a bridge. 78mph. For that I get increased insurance costs, a fine and (if I was job hunting) a hurdle to jump for many employments. I wasn't being dangerous, I just allowed my speed to increase a little too much. My fault, I should have spent longer looking at the speedometer instead of the road shouldn't I?

Don't be stupid. There's a hell of a difference between inadvertently allowing your speed to go over a random limit and deliberately damaging someone's car.

I got a speeding ticket last year when I was in a hire car (Mt first ticket in many years). On a quiet motorway in perfect weather in Scotland, I got pinged by a mobile camera on a bridge. 78mph. For that I get increased insurance costs, a fine and (if I was job hunting) a hurdle to jump for many employments. I wasn't being dangerous, I just allowed my speed to increase a little too much. My fault, I should have spent longer looking at the speedometer instead of the road shouldn't I?
Might have helped if you weren't checking your lippy at the time.

I don't see the issue, I don't have a problem with people who break the speed limit as long as they're sensible about it i.e not doing 120mph down the M6 at rushhour, but I've no sympathy for those who get caught, everyone knows the speed limits for the roads, if you don't there are plenty of signs around telling you and most speed cameras are bright yellow*.

*Except for people hiding in the bushes with a speed gun and the variable ones on the motor way.
Especially at the bottom of a hill. *********.

I don't have a problem with people speeding either, as long as its sensible ie. not 80 odd in a 30. We all know that the speed limits need to be enforced, but is it really worth driving someone's insurance through the roof, causing problems with job-hunting, and fining them if they're doing 33 in a 30? Happened to a friend of mine who still cannot afford to drive because of the insurance costs.

Also most speed cameras here are blue, except the yellow vultures on the bypass, which I think is a bit knobbish as they're next to impossible to see at night.

As a motorcyclist, I love forwards facing cameras.

The "don't speed then" brigade get right on my tits. He who is without sin? I bet half of them **** their cat.

Especially at the bottom of a hill. *********.

I don't have a problem with people speeding either, as long as its sensible ie. not 80 odd in a 30. We all know that the speed limits need to be enforced, but is it really worth driving someone's insurance through the roof, causing problems with job-hunting, and fining them if they're doing 33 in a 30? Happened to a friend of mine who still cannot afford to drive because of the insurance costs.

Also most speed cameras here are blue, except the yellow vultures on the bypass, which I think is a bit knobbish as they're next to impossible to see at night.
Most insurance companies wont load a single speed fine and the police have to, by English law allow a 10% buffer for speedometer inaccuracy. In England most 30 mph cameras are actually set at 35 before they're even triggered. I can't see the Scottish Law being too different since no car manufacturer can guarantee that the odometer is 100% accurate at all speeds.

Most insurance companies wont load a single speed fine and the police have to, by English law allow a 10% buffer for speedometer inaccuracy. In England most 30 mph cameras are actually set at 35 before they're even triggered. I can't see the Scottish Law being too different since no car manufacturer can guarantee that the odometer is 100% accurate at all speeds.
He was given 3 points and his insurance increased by enough for him to be unable to afford it. Bearing in mind he was 18 at the time, so it was in the thousands to begin with.

I was always told that the 10% + 2 rule was only an ACPO guideline, not an actual law, and that if whoever had the speed gun decided to do you for doing 31 he could, although I doubt that would stand up in court.

Most Modern Trucks are now fitted with a Speed Limiter, you can set this to any
speed below the Road Speed Limiter ie 40mph..this gives you a live accelerator up
to the speed set, when this speed is reached the Limiter will kick in and not let you
accelerate beyond the set speed.

It does work and with it fitted you would expect never to get a speeding fine but
as usual most LGV Drivers don't use it and then squeal like a stuck pig when they
do get caught.

Do you think it would be a good idea to fit it to all cars?
Some already have it as standard.

Provided you can actually turn it off if rushing to hospital or when pursued by baddies.
Yes, PF it is switchable and it can only be engaged if the Driver chooses to use it.

By the way MiT, an Odometer measures the distance travelled, guess what a
Speedometer measures.......climbs on high horse and gives the finger in the
direction of 'ull.

I hate the fact that fixed speed cameras are located at the bottom of hills, plod with speed cameras always locate in similar places, so it's obviously a tax rather than placing them at blackspots.

Real safety measures would be unmarked cars targeting the maniacs, we all see them every day, hurtling past at dangerous speeds, they should be driven off the roads.

Every day I have a few near misses which would have been a crash if I wasn't anticipating the oncoming driver to be a complete twat.

It's even worse on the scooter, they just turn in front of you, or drive at you.... that's one reason I wear an open face helmet.... so their wife and kids can hear the abuse better.

Most Modern Trucks are now fitted with a Speed Limiter, you can set this to any
speed below the Road Speed Limiter ie 40mph..this gives you a live accelerator up
to the speed set, when this speed is reached the Limiter will kick in and not let you
accelerate beyond the set speed.

It does work and with it fitted you would expect never to get a speeding fine but
as usual most LGV Drivers don't use it and then squeal like a stuck pig when they
do get caught.

Do you think it would be a good idea to fit it to all cars?
Some already have it as standard.

My Merc has it fitted but I don't like it. There's nothing worse than needing a good kick-down to get you out of the shit only to find you're limited to 20 or 30!

I do realise that my post may have come across as being slightly holier-than-thou - I can assure you this isn't the case. I get pinged a couple of times a year - I ******* kick myself for it too, as it proves I wasn't paying attention enough.

The sad fact is that this government will try to claw money back wherever possible these days - I'd rather those that break the law be hammered (myself included) than those who have done nothing wrong, ie adding to the cost of everyone's vehicle tax.

That one went out the door with digital senders for speedos.