Yay or Nay for weapons for the F-35?

Angus Robertson: To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what (a) current and (b) future armaments in the UK inventory will be able to be used in the Joint Strike Fighter's (i) internal weapons bays and (ii) external pylons. [166271]
Mr Dunne: The current weapons within the UK inventory that will be able to be used on the Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) are a combination of internal and external loads consisting of:
Advanced Short Range Air-to-Air Missile (ASRAAM);
Advanced Medium Range Air-to-Air Missile (AMRAAM);
Paveway IV.
Future integration of weapons from the UK inventory is subject to negotiation and agreement with the F-35 programme.

Joint Strike Fighter Aircraft: 2 Sep 2013: Hansard Written Answers and Statements - TheyWorkForYou

It's past your bedtime and you've got school tomorrow so stop starting bone threads and bin your account here.

Isn't one of the whole points of the F35 is that everything is internal?
Not really, you can do either depending on the threat so:
"uppity wog bashing" - hang everything bar the kitchen sink off it since they have no radar anyway
"Day 1 ops against scary people" - internal only for maximum stealth and then starting hanging more stuff of the outside when/if you degrade their air defence

If you think your enemy has weak air defences, then you carry weapons externally

Did we know this already? I did anyway.

Why is there no anti ship weapon was the question, considering its flying off a big ship. FFS - you wasted a question.

Why is there no anti ship weapon was the question, considering its flying off a big ship. FFS - you wasted a question.
Becvasue the question asks about "(a) current and (b) future armaments in the UK inventory" and there aren't any (fast) air launched anti-ship weapons in the inventory other than LGBs & no plans to get new ones.
I suspect its cleared for a selection of US ones (eg harpoon) but we don't have them

Becvasue the question asks about "(a) current and (b) future armaments in the UK inventory" and there aren't any (fast) air launched anti-ship weapons in the inventory other than LGBs & no plans to get new ones.
I suspect its cleared for a selection of US ones (eg harpoon) but we don't have them
Perseus?

Isn't its a ship/sub-launched missile rather than air-launched?
it is, but its also seen as the succesor to Storm Shadow.

its interesting that the minister was unable to say that Brimstone, or indeed SPEAR Cap 3, would be integrated onto F-35.

perhaps he 'mis-remembered'...

Did we know this already? I did anyway.

as the us not the uk. they designed the plane

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
does stormshadow fit inside?

does stormshadow fit inside?
no chance.

F-35 doesn't really need to be stealthy until and unless its going to get within SAM firing range of the enemy - so hanging big, long ranged stuff off the wings isn't a problem - the problem (to me) appears to be the 150km - 20km bracket between Storm Shadow and Paveway, and i have enormous doubts about F-35's ability to get within 20km of EAD so it can drop Paveway...

to me, it suggests that F-35 needs an ARM (perhaps based on the Meteor or AMRAAM airframes..) with a 80-100km range, as well as SPEAR Cap 3 (100km range, 200lb warhead), and all carried internally before it can really be called a first dy of war platform.

if we're not going to play such expensive games, then ditch F-35B and just buy F/A-18's at half the price and spend a little bit of money uprating the T45's for TLAM.

no chance.

F-35 doesn't really need to be stealthy until and unless its going to get within SAM firing range of the enemy - so hanging big, long ranged stuff off the wings isn't a problem - the problem (to me) appears to be the 150km - 20km bracket between Storm Shadow and Paveway, and i have enormous doubts about F-35's ability to get within 20km of EAD so it can drop Paveway...
AIUI JSOW/JDAM will fit. Alyternatively we could start our own program to invente a UK specific white elephant weapon

to me, it suggests that F-35 needs an ARM (perhaps based on the Meteor or AMRAAM airframes..) with a 80-100km range, as well as SPEAR Cap 3 (100km range, 200lb warhead), and all carried internally before it can really be called a first dy of war platform.
So, ALARM then?

Or won't it fit?

no chance.

if we're not going to play such expensive games, then ditch F-35B and just buy F/A-18's at half the price and spend a little bit of money uprating the T45's for TLAM.
I think fitting Meteor onto the F-35 is going to be a problem. It may end up in a situation with Typhoon with Meteors, F-35 with US made AMRAAMs

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
whitt Health and Fitness 4
viceroy The NAAFI Bar 36
S Health and Fitness 7