Yarr...

I'd see their tripes danglin' on the end of me cutlass, says I...

Navy avoiding pirates

The possibility of piratical sea-scum being clapped in irons and returned to Blighty, there to roast swans in rent-free council flats rather than dancing a final hornpipe on the end of a rope at Execution Dock, has led to a predictable outburst of tubthumping.

On the one hand, yarr, it be stupid the navy ain't fighting pirates, on the other, Lewis page? Yarrrr, who be caring what he thinks?

This kind of shIt comes from above - politicians and their masters the spin docters concerned over bad PR. If we truely had a 'Royal Navy, Ready to Fight and Win,' (slightly gash it has at least some punch) with strong political will, financial funding and common sense UK legal backing then maybe we would be taking on the pirates (after all, one of the most traditional roles of the RN)

As it is we have a Govt who couldn't give a toss or a penny; they have made us subservient to some fluffy human rights legislation and their ten years in 'government' has shown us to be generous and welcoming to any foreigner or native sponging cnut whilst they clearly despise anyone who has done right in their life. Thanks to the society that Bliar & Brown have nurtured we now have this:

'Royal Navy. Top Class Employers of Top Class People, Modern and Relevant, Capable and Resiliant,' :oops:

Is it any wonder that RN ships are steering away from pirates when we a fast becoming a nation that seeks the easy way out, legislates to in favour of the criminal and sponger, worries deeply about spin and celebrity whilst caring little for honour, courage and principle and has strap lines such as that? :x

Flot_gear said:
This kind of s*** comes from above - politicians and their masters the spin docters concerned over bad PR. If we truely had a 'Royal Navy, Ready to Fight and Win,' (slightly gash it has at least some punch) with strong political will, financial funding and common sense UK legal backing then maybe we would be taking on the pirates (after all, one of the most traditional roles of the RN)

As it is we have a Govt who couldn't give a toss or a penny; they have made us subservient to some fluffy human rights legislation and their ten years in 'government' has shown us to be generous and welcoming to any foreigner or native sponging cnut whilst they clearly despise anyone who has done right in their life. Thanks to the society that Bliar & Brown have nurtured we now have this:

'Royal Navy. Top Class Employers of Top Class People, Modern and Relevant, Capable and Resiliant,' :oops:

Is it any wonder that RN ships are steering away from pirates when we a fast becoming a nation that seeks the easy way out, legislates to in favour of the criminal and sponger, worries deeply about spin and celebrity whilst caring little for honour, courage and principle and has strap lines such as that? :x
Deary me.
If you listen carefully you can hear the low hum of Nelson spinning in his grave...

Whatever happened to the Royal Navy putting themslves "in harms way"?

Bring back the likes of Lt Thomas Wilkinson VC RNVR.

i read about this how many years ago now? 1 or 2?

old news.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Is now a bad time to mention Ipods?

Sod it maritime pikies, sweep the decks with chain shot and let the sharks do their bit, isn't that what we used to do, outside territorial waters of course!

pimpernel said:
Sod it maritime pikies, sweep the decks with chain shot and let the sharks do their bit, isn't that what we used to do, outside territorial waters of course!
We used to also arrest them, give them a fair hearing in a properly conducted Court of Law and then off the feckers :twisted:

We used to also arrest them, give them a fair hearing in a properly conducted Court of Law and then off the feckers

Must have been between campaigns, just to demonstrate we were in touch with our feminine side,before we reverted to being hard hearted chaps, bring back the gallows I say.

If we had laws to deal with them the Navy would love to.

The French took the ballsy approach and now have a load of pirates sitting in Paris with a queue of lawyers ready to defend them (with public money) as there is no existing legislation.

The Dutch still have a brig full of piates on one ship that they can't offload anywhere at all!

International waters requires an international mandate, or we just waste more public money.

Edited.

Please stay on topic, without the usual fomaning at the mouth thread derailments. This is an interesting topic, with legal and military ramifications.

Please don't trash it.

PTP

If the RN capture pirates engaged in attacking a ship surely they should then hand the captured pirates over to the authorities of the country whose flag the attacked ship is flying?
If the attacked ship's country's authorities refuse to take the pirates then they should be returned to their (the pirates) country of origin to be dealt with by their authorities. They may get away scott free but they will not be dragged halfway round the world to become our problem. Remember these are men who operate outside of established law and who use extreme violence to promulgate their ends, the last thing we want is to have them freely roaming round our own shores.

Junglynx said:
If we had laws to deal with them the Navy would love to.

The French took the ballsy approach and now have a load of pirates sitting in Paris with a queue of lawyers ready to defend them (with public money) as there is no existing legislation.

The Dutch still have a brig full of piates on one ship that they can't offload anywhere at all!

International waters requires an international mandate, or we just waste more public money.
Admiralty law= A distinct body of law which governs maritime questions and offenses.

Maritime Security Regimes= United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

When slavers were treated with the noose, no one cried up for clemency.

Junglynx said:
I'd suggest offloading them in the middle of the Indian Ocean on a dark night. 'Don't know where they've gone skipper. Looks like a mass suicide. Can I have a drag on your spliff?'

Dear god, US Navy carriers normally manage to lose one or two over the side on every deployment. Surely the world's senior navy can manage the same.

More seriously, and to keep PTP happy, there's a fairly simple solution to the asylum problem. Stop giving legal aid for cases brought under the Human Rights Act. People with a decent claim will still be able to get a no-win-no-fee lawyer but bogus claims will be stopped.

From a criminal perspective, piracy certainly used to be mentioned in the Articles of War. It was one of the few crimes for which a death sentence could be awarded. I can't believe the UK has no laws for dealing with piracy in international waters.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
maninblack The NAAFI Bar 16