Yank's question about the IRA's London Bombings in the 1990's

I believe that they called in warnings before bombing not in order to reduce casualties but in order to get the publicity for the bombs. If they waited until afterwards there would be several groups claiming credit. Also, they had a habit of calling in a warning, but not giving accurate details, and often deliberatly false information, in order to kill.

I was living in central London in the early 1990s when the first 2 big bombs went off (my building shook) and it did not feel that they were trying to avoid casualties, central London is pretty crowded at night, especially on the night after a general election. Also, most city financial firms had backup plans in place so were still open for business on Monday, just in different offices accross the city. Often competing firms co-operated (I was a city courier at the time). So the bombs did not have a massive effect on business. London is used to bombing campaigns and had an army of civilian workers clearing glass etc and getting it back to normal asap.

But can I thank you for your interest in this subject.

The original article is a typical load of crap from an idiot Yank with a hard-on for the IRA. The author obviously knows nothing about his chosen subject, though I am sure he is enjoying the ****-fest of comments telling him how wonderful he is from the majority of the know nothing terrorist supporting Yanks whom have added their comments on his site.

I wonder if he has ever considered that the IRA were responsible for 48.7% of all the murders commited by Republican terrorists i.e. 1,771 murders out of a total of 2,139 people murdered by all Republican terrorist groups.

Republican terrorists murdered 2,139 people (58.8% of all deaths)
Loyalist terrorists murdered 1,050 people (28.9% of all deaths)
The security forces killed 367 people (10.1% of all deaths)
Another 80 deaths are unattributable

Total deaths attributed to "the troubles" = 3,636

Also the fact that MI5/Special Branch controlled the conflict in NI, probably had the biggest effect on the Provo's as there campaign was controlled by the security forces and they were effectively run down from the inside.
One of the the aspects of the troubles that I found to be most fascinating was the penetration of all terrorist organization by MI5 and special branch and the counter intelligence efforts of the the Provos and Protestant groups to counter the government penetrations.

I recently saw a movie about it too 50 dead men walking. YouTube - FIFTY DEAD MEN WALKING TRAILER - ON DVD MONDAY 7TH SEPTEMBER!!!

What other books would you suggest about the intelligence war in NI?

there are more full blooded Irish in America than there are in Ireland.
er...no, they are not 'full blooded Irish', they are Yanks, and as far as the Boggie Bride and 95% of those from the Republic are concerned they have ****-all to do with the Ireland of the 21st Century and should all shut the **** up.

You might be surprised to know we have more in common with the Micks than stuff that supposedly separates us, despite Dev's best efforts, it's just those in the Republic (and by and large in Nortion Iron) have worked it out for themselves, where as those Plastic Paddies who've never been there but think they belong don't seem to grasp the fact that it's not 1916. In the words of St Bono of Dublin "**** the revolution" and **** the IRA and it's offshoots - no amount of apologist bullshit will ever whiten their souls*

*yes, same for the UVF, Red Hand Gang etc

One of the the aspects of the troubles that I found to be most fascinating was the penetration of all terrorist organization by MI5 and special branch and the counter intelligence efforts of the the Provos and Protestant groups to counter the government penetrations.
What counter Intel efforts, you mean people like Vol Frank Hegarty, Londonderry Brigade PIRA, who was killed to keep a higher tout safe.... funny Martin McG, our Deputy First Minister was the fella who brought him home, only to be murdered shortly after.... I wonder was Mrtin the higher tout.

Freddy Scapatecci.. run the nutting squad, was an MI5 agent, who fished out the touts, within PIRA, I wonder how many Vols he killed to hide his touting activities and other touts, higher up.

They had no Counter Intel efforts, because they were ran by our intel organisations.

There aren't any which are particularly accurate or reliable. You might try some of Martin Dillon's work - generally, though, it's far too recent for any worthwhile stuff to be published, I imagine it'll be many years before the archives are opened. Toby Harnden's "Bandit Country" is pretty good as a snapshot of the South Armagh Brigade.

The Operators, Inside 14th Intelligence Company, I thought was ok.

What counter Intel efforts, you mean people like Vol Frank Hegarty, Londonderry Brigade PIRA, who was killed to keep a higher tout safe.... funny Martin McG, our Deputy First Minister was the fella who brought him home, only to be murdered shortly after.... I wonder was Mrtin the higher tout.

Freddy Scapatecci.. run the nutting squad, was an MI5 agent, who fished out the touts, within PIRA, I wonder how many Vols he killed to hide his touting activities and other touts, higher up.

They had no Counter Intel efforts, because they were ran by our intel organisations.
Whoa there, easy tiger, this is a UK website and we wouldn't want to libel folk, would we? Martin McGuinness was formerly PIRA OC Derry Brigade and has been both Chief of Staff and on the Army Council - perfectly fine to write, fair comment applies. Mairtin was a tout, no, we can't write that. As for Freddy Scapaticci, he denied the allegation so I guess we have to believe him.

As to PIRA CI, they did some remarkable work on INLA and the IPLO in their time and if anyone remembers former Volunteers Burns, Starrs and Dignam from Armagh....

There aren't any which are particularly accurate or reliable. You might try some of Martin Dillon's work - generally, though, it's far too recent for any worthwhile stuff to be published, I imagine it'll be many years before the archives are opened. Toby Harnden's "Bandit Country" is pretty good as a snapshot of the South Armagh Brigade.
Martin Dillons the Dirty War is a brilliant read, I actually used to stay over in one of the houses were a Catholic was shot dead in East Belfast, for **** all.

The Shankill Butchers has a lot of fabrication in it.

the IRA were responsible for 48.7% of all the murders commited by Republican terrorists i.e. 1,771 murders out of a total of 2,139 people murdered by all Republican terrorist groups.
Not arguing your numbers but 1,771 out of 2,139 is 82.7% not 48.7%? Yes, (e)xIRA are scum ...

48.7% is the total of IRA confirmed murders as a %age of total troubles related (or merely sus) deaths.

Ive heard that idea expressed from time to time, how much does anybody truly believe that if HM Government would have had that much control over the PIRA and still allowed the London campaign to go on?

Ive heard that idea expressed from time to time, how much does anybody truly believe that if HM Government would have had that much control over the PIRA and still allowed the London campaign to go on?
]

Nothing to see here, move along, move along now...

As explained numerous times the London campaign stiffened British resolve and isolated the Irish communities from the IRA, ask many an Irish person in England what they think of the IRA and many will say they are complete cnuts.

The bomb attack in Manchester lead to the regeneration of the city and it has gone from strength to strength since( in most aspects) the bombing is seen as the catalyst for this.

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Try Amazon. The online book seller or the big sweaty bit of south America. Either one works for me.

So, getting back on-thread with daft questions... is Oregon still wet, dismal, full of drug sucking hippies and stringy washed out old birds? What books do you suggest I read to understand Oregon and its role in being the arse end of nowhere?

Politics ? Go back over the thread and digest some of the input........

Try Amazon. The online book seller or the big sweaty bit of south America. Either one works for me.

So, getting back on-thread with daft questions... is Oregon still wet, dismal, full of drug sucking hippies and stringy washed out old birds? What books do you suggest I read to understand Oregon and its role in being the arse end of nowhere?
Oi knob head my fiancé is from Oregon.

What a spot on description!

Latest Threads