Yankees they must go the house

DarkBrig

Old-Salt
There were a few in the crowd at the end .......probably

It appears Poland is the winner and NATO will still have a firm American commitment. The Hawks will be pleased, and the Germans will get a bit of a kicking to appease the skeptics here at home.
That's a pretty poorly put together article, when they can't even get SACEUR's name right! Additionally, it conflates agreements already made between the USA and Poland regarding basing, so it's difficult to tell what's actually new. In any case, there's not a lot of combat power to hand in a rapidly developing crisis.

'Under the agreement, a division command will be housed at Poznań, while a training center will be located at Drawsko Pomorskie, a frequent host of multinational NATO exercises. There will also be an Air Force logistics hub, a headquarters for a rotational Combat Aviation Brigade, two separate special ops facilities, and another base near the German border that will house an Armored Brigade Combat Team.'

And may not be for some time.

'Despite the urgent tone of Esper’s address, it doesn’t appear much of this movement will happen soon.'

<snip>

'While Esper estimated the costs to be less than $10 billion, the movement of so many forces will be time-consuming, complicated, and expensive. Moving to Mons will likely require building entirely new facilities to replace or add to the handful of aging, 1960s-era buildings that exist there now.

'Former DoD official Jim Townsend, senior fellow in the CNAS Transatlantic Security Program, said that the proposed movements to Belgium and Italy — if they’re possible — will be unlikely to happen quickly, and will have to wait on political agreements to be signed first.

'Mons “is a village where they’re going to have to do a lot to account for all these people coming,” he said. “The Pentagon hasn’t even put out an RFP [Request For Proposals] to build a new housing and facilities.” Without those basic logistical hurdles, any larger movements are years away, he said.'

While I agree with the comment about having to do a lot to accommodate a new influx of families, as for the 'village' comment - 'La population montoise est de 95 334 habitants en 2018...'

Last edited:
That's a pretty poorly put together article, when they can't even get SACEUR's name right! Additionally, it conflates agreements already made between the USA and Poland regarding basing, so it's difficult to tell what's actually new. In any case, there's not a lot of combat power to hand in a rapidly developing crisis.

'Under the agreement, a division command will be housed at Poznań, while a training center will be located at Drawsko Pomorskie, a frequent host of multinational NATO exercises. There will also be an Air Force logistics hub, a headquarters for a rotational Combat Aviation Brigade, two separate special ops facilities, and another base near the German border that will house an Armored Brigade Combat Team.'

And may not be for some time.

'Despite the urgent tone of Esper’s address, it doesn’t appear much of this movement will happen soon.'

<snip>

'While Esper estimated the costs to be less than $10 billion, the movement of so many forces will be time-consuming, complicated, and expensive. Moving to Mons will likely require building entirely new facilities to replace or add to the handful of aging, 1960s-era buildings that exist there now.

'Former DoD official Jim Townsend, senior fellow in the CNAS Transatlantic Security Program, said that the proposed movements to Belgium and Italy — if they’re possible — will be unlikely to happen quickly, and will have to wait on political agreements to be signed first.

'Mons “is a village where they’re going to have to do a lot to account for all these people coming,” he said. “The Pentagon hasn’t even put out an RFP [Request For Proposals] to build a new housing and facilities.” Without those basic logistical hurdles, any larger movements are years away, he said.'

While I agree with the comment about having to do a lot to accommodate a new influx of families, as for the 'village' comment - 'La population montoise est de 95 334 habitants en 2018...'
I want to see what division HQ will be in Poland. V Corps should be relocated back to Europe as well. If I were to take an uneducated guess, a rotational brigade will always be stationed in Poland and 10th group will have a new European home.

With a few more Brigade sets at the POMCUS sites in Europe. The US Army would be able to surge in a division sized force should that become necessary. If the rest of NATO can contribute meaningful forces in a short amount of time that should be deterrent enough.

Our sealift capability is our Achilles heel.

But the US seems ready to expand the Black Sea Rotational Force. Which I think is another good sign for the alliance as a whole.

But one thing is abundantly clear, and that is the Germans are no longer the golden child.

Last edited:
But the US seems ready to expand the Black Sea Rotational Force. Which I think is another good sign for the alliance as a whole.
Any Black Sea Rotational Force maritime component will be subject to the restrictions of the Montreux Agreement, meaning that employing force elements provided by non-Black Sea littoral nations will be short duration, costly and militarily pretty ineffective. As the USA is not a signatory to Montreux, Trump can't withdraw from it, as per his usual modus with treaties he doesn't like, but for the USA to ignore Montreux would a/ seriously hack off the signatory nations which are predominantly NATO Allies, and b/ give Russia the excuse to also ignore it and gain unlimited access to the Eastern Med.

Any Black Sea Rotational Force maritime component will be subject to the restrictions of the Montreux Agreement, meaning that employing force elements provided by non-Black Sea littoral nations will be short duration, costly and militarily pretty ineffective. As the USA is not a signatory to Montreux, Trump can't withdraw from it, as per his usual modus with treaties he doesn't like, but for the USA to ignore Montreux would a/ seriously hack off the signatory nations which are predominantly NATO Allies, and b/ give Russia the excuse to also ignore it and gain unlimited access to the Eastern Med.
Well with the previous articles mentioning the 2nd CR being returned stateside, and then going to participate in Black Sea rotational deployments, I do wonder if something is cooking up in the distant future.

So will your new “strike brigade” get to be the Eastern European speed bump? As it appears the US Army is not going to chance a Stryker vs Heavy metal clash in the Baltic’s.

Well with the previous articles mentioning the 2nd CR being returned stateside, and then going to participate in Black Sea rotational deployments, I do wonder if something is cooking up in the distant future.

So will your new “strike brigade” get to be the Eastern European speed bump? As it appears the US Army is not going to chance a Stryker vs Heavy metal clash in the Baltic’s.
As NATO's southern European allies (currently) share no international border with Russia, any deployment of ground forces into Bulgaria or Romania is largely window-dressing. I'd be surprised if any posting, or lengthy detachment, to a very rustic and rural country like Romania will be the source of much enthusiasm when compared to Germany.

Last edited:
As NATO's European allies (currently) share no international border with Russia, any deployment of ground forces into Bulgaria or Romania is largely window-dressing. I'd be surprised if any posting, or lengthy detachment, to a very rustic and rural country like Romania will be the source of much enthusiasm when compared to Germany.
The Army is trying to save money and reduce the number of dependents overseas. They are a very costly expense to permanently house and not having to worry about as many does free up money for other things.

The Army is trying to save money and reduce the number of dependents overseas. They are a very costly expense to permanently house and not having to worry about as many does free up money for other things.
Spend to save (maybe). As pointed out in the article you posted earlier, this is going to cost a significant amount up-front, and take years to implement, by which time circumstances will have moved on, and quite possibly the decisions made by a petulant man-child in 2020 are no longer relevant. Of course, Esper could be trying to 'slow roll' this until after the Presidential election.

Spend to save (maybe). As pointed out in the article you posted earlier, this is going to cost a significant amount up-front, and take years to implement, by which time circumstances will have moved on, and quite possibly the decisions made by a petulant man-child in 2020 are no longer relevant. Of course, Esper could be trying to 'slow roll' this until after the Presidential election.
We will find out one way or another.

But even if Biden were to get in, I don’t know if his administration would halt it. They will be to busy trying to socially engineer the country first. All things foreign will take a back seat on the priority list.

When we used to do liaison visits in Iraq we used to have the Czech Military police with us who would provide perimeter protection whilst we "liaised", very professional and switched on guys (for clarity it's the guy on the far right, not the three in the middle). TBH it must have been a nightmare for them as they are actually part of the Czech special forces whilst we RMP on the other hand ..........................................

View attachment 493840

they Czech forces also have the best recruiting advert I've ever seen

The best advert the Czechs could have is a few picture of females in their AGC equivalent, high heels, skirts showing off a decent amount of leg and an apparent no fat chick rule.

Then they find that they have a shortage of troops, as the soldiers get pissed off with doing constant unaccompanied tours.

Looks like the “Victory” Corps will be returning to Europe. The Poles have managed to make themselves very attractive in short order.
I wonder if the costs will be included as part of their future 2% contribution to defence.

I wonder if the costs will be included as part of their future 2% contribution to defence.
I don’t know, but it wouldn’t be bad form to give them some wiggle room in the future. But the Corps and Division HQ’s are big deals. It does make me wonder how our planning guru’s envision the German government in the long term future. Frenemy seems to be the most fitting term.

Looks like the “Victory” Corps will be returning to Europe. The Poles have managed to make themselves very attractive in short order.
During a course in Oberammergau l asked a US LTC who came from JFTC Bydgoszcz how he liked Poland.

His only answer was "I never knew there were so many different types of sausages...."

Latest Threads