yank tours now over a year - unlucky

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by quiller, Apr 7, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/usatoday/20040406/ts_usatoday/pentagondelaysustroopstriphome&e=3

Since the war began a year ago, senior military leaders have given frequent assurances to troops and their families that Iraq duty would be no longer than a year.

Now, those assurances have met the reality of Iraq, where military leaders are planning for the possibility that anti-U.S. violence will spread. U.S. troops are stretched thin around the world, and the Pentagon has few options to increase the force in Iraq if necessary.

On Monday, a senior official with U.S. Central Command said that the return home of about 24,000 U.S. troops who were scheduled to leave in the next few weeks would be delayed as their replacements arrive. Central Command's responsibility includes the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (news - web sites).

With the 24,000 remaining and others who have arrived as intended replacements, there are 134,000 U.S. troops in Iraq.

The senior official spoke to reporters at the Pentagon by phone from Central Command in Tampa. He gave the briefing on the condition that he not be identified.

Defense officials did not say how much beyond a year some troops would stay, but they discussed the deployment in the context of reducing the current violence in Iraq in the weeks leading up to June 30, when Iraqis will regain their sovereignty from the United States. The United States will maintain a military presence after Iraq resumes self-rule.

2. Tours lasting over a year, buddies getting killed everyday, morale must be rock bottom for those boys.

3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I think that a year tour is almost routine for the Yanks. Certainly a lot of the formations that went into Iraq in March last year had already been out there since late 2002, and stayed on well after 1 Div left in July.

4. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

12 Months is SOP for the yanks (Tour of Duty anyone) but I know the girlfriend of an Apache WO who's just had a four month extension.. She's going through batteries like nobody's business.

There is a reason Britfor goes for 6 month tours, family, morale, efficiency etc can last 180 days, not 485!!!

I spoke to a couple of US Coy Cmdr's when they got back a couple of months ago, the summed it up as:

Dude A. 2 close [sniper] calls for his unit, 4 divorces (including him), 10 guys signed off.

Dude B. 2 KIA, similar divorce and quitting.

Another apache WO I spoke to here said he'd heard of an NG Blackhawk unit that had lost 20 guys AWOL! They had been mobilised since 2001 though so I guess they might have a little excuse....

Mr H

5. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

Sadly, yes it is.

My sis-in-law is married to a National Guard MP Sgt who has spent over a year there. At first they were told it was a 12 month deployment, and he figured about 9 months in Iraq because they had spent 3 months in various camps doing work up training. When he got in-theatre the DoD changed the rules so that they had to spend 12 months in theatre, not just activated. In total he has spent 15 months away and not 12.

He's a Sgt with 9 years experience and he has handed in his papers only now to be told that the rules have changed again, and all reservists have been blocked from resigning until the crisis (remember how open ended TWAT is) is over and that whether he likes it or not he may be deployed again before the year is out and if he doesn't go he will be slung in prison for the same amount of time he was due to be deployed.

Talk about being shafted.......... :roll:

6. Colleague was telling me about a news article that said the Spams were returning to a Vietnam-era level of drug use.

Anyone know anything? In this age of CDT it may well be true!

7. msr

msr LE

8. Now that's an interesting, morale boosting exercise!!

Probably shows how scared the bosses are of loosing all their troops. I wonder what recruiting figures are like right now?

9. So, for some unfortunates....

3 months of work-up
    12 months of war, war and more war
    3 months of more war

18 months away from home! 8O

I wonder, if they knew this a year ago, they might have keelhauled Bush using that "Mission Accomplished" banner as a rope!

There is one valid comparison with Vietnam. A military fighting force is being run into the ground and will take decades to recover.

10. ...or gone to "full speed ahead" as his aircraft approached the carrier!

...or taken him belowdecks for a good (use your imagination) as payback in advance!

11. Shows that the US Department of Defense can be trusted as much as our Ministry of Defence!