Yank reporter on Brits in Basra

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by ghost_us, Apr 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A fantastic article - if only the UK media did this kind of stuff.

Bit shocked (if not totally surprised) by the loss of the CR2. That hasn't been publicised here.
  2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Good article - Well done The Rifles.
  3. Damned fine! - good post ghost_us
  4. Excellent story and sticks to the facts. Top man.

5. 'While Americans count on helicopter support for deliberate high-intensity combat here, the Brits were going into extremely hostile terrain, outnumbered, without helicopter support, relying instead upon timing, terrain, maneuverability, firepower, and sheer audacity.'

Difor is correct its a shame that Brit reporters don't do this it really is.

A challenge to all of you Journos scanning ARRSE these days - very few of you expected to be writing the cr*p you do now when you got into the game - you wanted to write stuff like this, so do it. Ask, get imbedded, go see, go write.

Then see how reporting on 'Z list celebs wearing no knickers when really really drunk' puff pieces sit with your new reputation as a REAL REPORTER.
  6. Good to see a positive slant at last.

7. This is the bit I liked best. Great article.
  8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Fantastic stuff - forget the politics for once; this is Infantry, unsupported by Armour, Air or Arty, doing their stuff and doing it brilliantly.

Well done The Rifles!!
  9. The British are planning future operations. These soldiers are so good that I have requested from British commanders to be allowed to stay longer.

And I certainly look forward to reading more - if any 'Rifles' are watching you really should get this article on your Regimental Web Site ASAP.

Don't rely on the MoD to do it for you :lol:
  10. This is what the great British public should be reading about our forces. Not paying money to/and reporting negative tales of thirteen days of daring in an Iranian hotel.

Well done the Rifles.

Ditto on the CR2 bit.
  11. One thing I have to say about Michael Yon. He is ex-SF (The real kind) and reports everything he sees. Good and Bad.

He's more of a blogger than a reporter really but the things you see him writing about range from schools and shops to frame by frame combat footage.

He's boots on the ground with these guys and at times in the middle of firefights armed only with a camera.

So far he's been the only outlet I've found to get the real deal on what's going on over there.
  12. Great article we really do need more like this!

Get well soon Hulbert.
  13. A good read and well written.
    Concerned about CR2 though, must have been a bloody big IED.

Pity our gobsh*te media could not write the same and bin the negative reporting.
  14. Its about time we got respect off our own press like this, whenever we have any uk reporters/journalists around us were sh*tting ourselves thinking what theyll say about us in the press. Well done can I stick him in my bergan for Afghan next year please.