Yank PXs in Germany

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by cdn_spr, Nov 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick question for those in the know....

Last time I was in Germany with a Regt'l Ski team, we went to the Yank PX in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, and just showed ID and waltzed in to buy cheap ski kit.

However, I've since heard that to enter a PX now, loads of paperwork has to be completed etc etc. Is this true?
    I ask because I'm helping take another ski team to austria, and we had thought about stopping by the Garmisch PX to get some kit.

Cheers in advance

2. As far as I am aware you need a form from your admin office explaining that you are entitled to tax free facilities........

But, that was a few years back.

3. It has completely changed, you need a special pass that is issued by the Spams. You have to apply, book an appointment and go down, they take your picture and finger print.

I personally haven't bothered because I don't like the idea of them having my dabs. Then again I live up the road from JHQ.

4. A NATO Travel Order usually is enough to shop at a PX/NEx

5. all I needed was my MoD90

6. PX at SHAPE allows you in but you cant buy feck all.......

7. Afraid so, you need a form signed by your SSO and like the others have said you have to go to a pass office and get a pass made. Most of them are only open on weekdays which is a pain, but once you have the pass it gets you into any installation - in Europe!

8. Thanks for the replies thus far. I remembered after posting that the german gate guard at the garmisch PX was a bit pissy about letting us in on MOD 90 but did anyways.

I'll try and speak with the SSO this week about said form, as for the pass office I'm sure there'll be one in Garmisch.

Now, further question! Where the hell is the Garmisch PX. I've searched everywhere on the net for directions/address to no avail. I know it's in the 'Artillery Kaserne' but that's the extent of it, and I don't remember how to get there from last time.

Thanks again!!!

9. ISTR it was in the town centre!

10. We are going next month just filled out the paperwork (1 sheet a4) but they take dabs and a retina scan (i thought he said rectal at first) but if you want ill give you the lowdown next month once ive been

11. Typical YANKS. Want our help in the Gulf but wont allow us to shop at their facilities. *******.

BT

12. This will be no help but in the PX in Camp Lejuene you just had to show your ID card!