Yank pilot shot down during Gulf War 1, was he ever found?

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Lord_Wentworth, Dec 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I remember reading some big stories just prior to the war about some poor Yank pilot, shot down and listed as MIA in Gulf War 1, who, it was claimed, was being held prisoner in Iraq. There was speculation from defectors to the US that he was imprisoned in Iraq for 12 years. His wife had married his best mate etc.

Was he ever found, or had he just been killed in the war as thought?
  2. Capt. Michael "Scott" Speicher is still MIA
  3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Has nothing further emerged? I hadn't known there were any pilots who had not been repatriated from GW1, I'm ashamed to admit.
  4. There is a task force charged with finding Speicher. So far no trace of him.
  5. I would have thought if the poor chap were still alive, Saddam would have tried to use him as a bargaining tool prior to the invasion.
  6. There was a program on this subject made for Sky TV (The History Program?) For the life of though, I can’t remember all the details. I have a feeling that some of his (the pilots) possessions were found at the crash site and gave rise to the belief that they had been returned there (to the crash site) for the crash investigators to find! This gave rise to speculation, that the pilot had survived the crash and had been taken prisoner. As previously stated, he is officially MIA.

Sorry if this a bit vague, an age thing really. :oops:
  7. It may be vague, but it's also about as accurate as it gets.

They think he was alive for a while.

8. There was an article published last year that was made available on a certain MOD system (it was from an american newspaper originally) and it was a very good piece. However, it was bloody depressing reading it. If he was alive, he would've had to put up with the fact that his wife was indeed married to his best mate and also that she'd moved on in life. It truely was one of those 'I hope that never happens to me' stories and it would've been hell for everyone involved.
  9. I believe someting along the lines of "I'm still here" and a date (somtime in 2003) along with his name were found scraped into a wall in a prison after the current invasion. Very sad, so close to being rescued.