Yangtse Incedent on lunchtime telly

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by jagman, Oct 1, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title says
    On channel More4+1 at 12.15.
    Damned fine movie of the older kind with Richard Todd. More or less the true story and actually uses the real HMS Amethyst in the film.

2. Also, the 1960 classic film about a robbery carried out by former British Army officers 'The League of Gentlemen' is on Channel 4 at 13:15.

Thanks for the tip about The Yangtse Incident, called the Mrs and both will be in the can when I get home.

3. Bit of a risk of stiff upper lip overload but still worth a watch.

Thanks Jagman.

4. Nice to see a real Sunderland Flying boat

5. Gawd. :eek:

Haven't seen that one in decades, literally. Seem to recall that it was a good film for the time. Can even remember there was a radio play of the "incident" prior to the film being released.

Strange coincidence though. Was watching History Channel the other night a program on the RN and there was a clip of the ship arriving in Hong Kong after her escape.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

"escape"? Surely withdrawal, or at least re-floating and departure.

after all.... "Have rejoined the fleet off Woosung...God save the King"

7. A mate of mine who recently died was one of the injured on the Black Swan,

8. "Withdrawal"..................mmmh. :? No, after some consideration I will stick with "escape". :wink: Surely the Chinese would have "objected" had they known the ship was departing or even withdrawing. :)

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Heads Up! Showing on Film4 1315 Friday. Ace-base movie.

Go to The Yangtse Incident to read Kerans' Naval Review account of the filming which Soleil lifted for us in 2011. Fascinating (and amusing) reading I thought).

For anyone not up with it Kerans was the officer sent to get HMS Amethyst out of the mess she had got into after being attacked by Red Chinese artillery way up the Yangtse. No betetr choice of 'naval adviser'! Also, the film was shot using the original ship.

Account of the incident at HMS AMETHYST

10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

SORRY SORRY SORRY it's 1315 rpt 1315 tomorrow Friday on Film4

11. Think Lt Commander Keran later became MP for Hartlepools.

12. He did - but only served one term, choosing not to run for re-election.