Yamaha Aerox moped nightmare

Morning all, bit of a shot in the dark but does anyone know anything about Yamaha Aerox mopeds.
This is in regard to Toland jnr's means of transport, currently not at the moment as its sat in the s*** doing my frickin nut in
It has been a bitch from day one of purchase. It is a 50cc version
with a Dellorto 17.5 mil carb, Leo Vince ZX exhaust, Piaggio NRG Zip
Air Filter, standard variator with 3.5g rollers and runs like a sack
of crap.
It has a 95 jet I believe and of course my sons friends are all
experts when it comes to modding their peds so it has been mucked
about with from the beginning.I have a mechanical knowledge of car engines having
rebuilt a couple but when it comes to 2 stroke I'm in the dark pretty
much.
Could you tell me if the set up of the Aerox is right or it needs
burning!! I can, if need be strip the thing down and fix it but would
appreciate some advice from grown ups as the info I have got from the
web so far has been somewhat juvenile to say the least
Any help would be greatly appreciated

I'd start off looking at the jetting in the carb.

Cheers, I have got him a box of jets ranging from 78 up to 98, do I just swap them over until I find the right one or is there a proper way to do it.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Get a workshop manual. Put the tea on, peruse manual.
Find 14 year old to dowload and print one out. It will save a lot of grief

Have already downloaded a workshop manual but unfortunately it is for a stock standard moped. If Toland jnr had kept all the parts he has replaced I would be reverting the bloody thing back to its original spec but he lost the bits or sold them or something

Cheers, I have got him a box of jets ranging from 78 up to 98, do I just swap them over until I find the right one or is there a proper way to do it.

It's a start. Is there adjustment of the butterfly?

Might be a matter of swapping them out then.

Also check,type of oil,synthetic,or normal,and also check PetrOil mix,I know these are basics,but I once saw a 'Scoot',that was supposed to be running a synth/oil mix,seize after about 20 seconds running,because the '17 year old expert',had substituted,synth for normal 2-stroke,as that's all he had in the S**d,it makes a difference.

The only other thing,as Guru says,is the jetting,have a look in the book,try it and work from there.

having done that superglue,the carb together,to stop the experts taking it to bits again! ;-)

Good point about the 2T oil. Might be worth draining the tank and putting a fresh load of fuel in before kicking off.

Finally got it working, swapped over the jets a few times and got it going pretty good after a few hours of swearing at it,
now I can get back to getting my SL back on the road

Following on what I believed was a ped that was working pretty well , it now appears to be idling way too high and I have adjusted the idle speed screw right down from 1 and a half turns to roughly a half.
so, once again I ask if anyone out there has an idea what could be causing this little issue.
BTW have checked throttle slide and it is free moving

G

goatrutar

Not overly familiar with scooter 2 strokes, but maybe there's an air leak? Sounds like it might be leaning out a bit? O rings and seals intact?

Cheers for that advice. Am away this week so no chance of checking air leaks but was looking to that as next object. Bought couple of gaskets to change on the next chance i get

The usual thing said about two stroke...more than three kicks or pulls to start?..it's broke.
the most common fault with a two stroke is lack of crankcase compression whilst starting,it depends on it unlike a 4 stroke,
check all mating gaskets ,do the soapy water test, in my experience it is very rarely the carb thats the problem unless it's been tinkered with.
oh and 2stroke eats plugs ...check them.

Cheers for that advice. Am away this week so no chance of checking air leaks but was looking to that as next object. Bought couple of gaskets to change on the next chance i get
Do a plug chop to give you a rough idea of whether the mix is good, get the thing warm then thrape it up the road, when your thrashing its bollocks off in top gear flick the kill switch and pull the clutch in. Whip the plug out and check the end, black and sooty= too rich, jet it down, white= too lean, go up a jet size, nice biscuit brown= just right.

The ped is fixed, it was a combination of a gasket not sealing completely and a throttle cable that needed replacing.
All good now, I hope and pray.