Yahoo shutting down?? Any idea whats going on here?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by FourZeroCharlie, Oct 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This is very odd. I've just received this in my Yahoo chat account, allegedly from a contact in the US of A.

Spoof? Spam? Complete bollox?

"Yahoo is shutting down on November 17th. They want to get rid of free messenger. If you delete this and don't pass it on, your name will be deleted. A lot of people have already been deleted. Right click on the group name of your buddylist and click, Send Instant Message to All in Group.. This is Yahoo President Anna Rubenecia, I am sorry to announce that Yahoo has reached its maximum number of accounts two million. If you would like to keep your account for free send this to everyone on your list. This way we can know which accounts are being used and which accounts we can delete. Send this within 8 days and your account will remain free"

2. At a guess I'd say that Yahoo is shutting down.

3. Its bollox
    These chain letters come round every couple of years threatening dire consequences if you dont send them on, filling bandwidth with dross and generally slowing everything down

4. It's obviously spam, don't be ridiculous!

5. utter rubbish. The President is Susan Decker and the company hasn't made any announcement. Unlikely the company would do another stupid thing after blowing the tie up with Microsoft. This from yesterday:
    10/28 *MICROSOFT HAD 8.5% OF U.S. SEARCHES IN SEPT., COMSCORE SAYS
    10/28 *YAHOO HAD 20.2% OF U.S. SEARCHES LAST MONTH, COMSCORE SAYS
    Go here for latest tech gossip: http://www.alleyinsider.com/

6. No it's not. It's Anna Rubenica. It says so in the email.

7. Terry Semel - Chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Susan Decker - Executive Vice President; Head of Advertiser and Publisher Group and Acting Chief Financial Officer.

8. for the little it's worth but for the sake of accuracy, Semel resigned in 2007. The board looks like this:
    4)ROY J BOSTOCK CHAIRMAN
    5)JERRY YANG CEO/CO-FOUNDER
    6)SUSAN L DECKER PRESIDENT
    7)DAVID FILO CHIEF YAHOO!/CO-FOUNDER
    8)BLAKE J JORGENSEN CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
    getting a bit nerdy now; I'll stop here.

9. Bob Terry - Brew boy

Lucky - Office cat

10. :pc: :lol: