Yachts at Kiel

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by 06FA56Paderborn, Jul 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Many years ago I remember being told when sailing out of the BFG (?) Yacht club Kiel that 2 of the yachts were taken from the Germans at the conclusion of WW2, (having been senior Nazi playthings) one I think was called Rasmus, do they still exist? and was my plonker being pulled as to their history? (I was both very young, and very very drunk at the time.

2. The germans had many yachts for training purposes etc and the UK took quite a few as 'prizes' after the war. As a group they were known as the "Windfall Yachts" and in the early post war years they fulfilled a role as sail training vessels for all the services. One disadvantage was that they were not all of one class and thus made level racing difificult so over the 50s many were replaced with purpose built yachts, for example Dartmouth had 6 Morgan Giles design yachts and one Windfall by the time I was there in the early 50s. I suspect that none are now in service ownership, though some are probably in private hands. Rather that being the playthings for senior NAZIs I suspect they fulfilled much the same role as service sail training craft do today. The Kreigsmarine certainly did believe that sail training for all in the navy was important.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

All true and there were a lot more "windfall" yachts in the early days. Many were part of the Ge sail training fleet used for YO training.

They are down to one of the old yachts now; Flamingo, and she is beautiful

4. Each 'Windfall' was supposedly Goering's personal yacht (link).

5. Any pictures? as you say they were beautiful, the original question sprang to mind after seeing the prog on BBC2 last night about the Venitian chap Francesco da Mosto sailing around the Med in a good looking yacht.

6. The 57ft. yacht ‘Flamingo’, one of the WW II 100 square metre windfall boats built in 1935 for ’36 Hitler Olympics’, which the British forces took as reparation after the war.

b_s

7. I frequently sailed in Capella at Dartmouth during the early 1970s. She was the only survivor of several Windfalls used by Britannia Royal Naval College until 1959. These pictures come from the website quoted above (link)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. The Kiel Windfall was "Rasmus". As you say a real beauty! The Gunners used to keep "St Barbara" there and the REME had "Lilibulero".

I recall taking the helm of "Lilibulero", heading down to Kiel from Assens...

"L/Bdr PB, head for that stripey object on the horizon, it's the ??? Light"

After what seemed like hours of bearing down on the Stripey Thing, it turned out to be a bloody huge stripey spinnaker on a German yacht! We did make it back to Kiel though!

9. My very first "sail" was in one of those in 1975 and I still remember being allowed to take the helm, with a "grown up" standing by. A magnificant yacht and if my memory serve me right, the BKYC had 3 of them, along with a number of Contessa 32s, Cutlass class's and a number of old "Dan" boats, without engines which I learnt to sail in. The safety boat was "The Oliver Twist".

Fabulous times and a great era in which to be serving in BAOR.

10. Rasmus was at BKYC when I had a couple of jollies there in the late 80's, the rest of the fleet being Sigma 33s, later Halberg Rassy 29s. Used as a Committee Boat for AAC regattas, some unlucky Rodney spent most of his week polishing the brasswork.

Buying the HRs caused a bit of a stink amongst the few surviving UK yacht builders, ISTR.

11. First time I ever sailed was on Flamingo. Lovely it was. She always attracts attention when she pulls in. Got my comp crew on that cruise.

One of 12(?) 100ftrs built for the 36 games´, she had non other than herman goering on board at one point. The Kiel Club house used to have a lot of pictures and what not showing the boatsi n ´36. They had one or two mods during their time.

The other boat was Kranach (sic) and I think she fell apart after a trip out left one of the crew pumping out the bilges full time all the way home!!!! Flamingo was restricted to the Baltic for a long while.

It seems strange that not many yahters were fussed about me crossing the Atlantic on a Nic 55 (Dasher), but were all ears about my pootle around the Baltic on Flamingo! Certainly makes you feel special when you´ve been on her.

12. Was there this spring doing comp crew. Saw Flamingo and she was indeed a beaut, however, we were told the the yacht club were trying to sell her, as the costs to keep her running were mounting! Shame