XZ666 Lynx "Damien"

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by RUCFOREVER, Dec 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know this Lynx is famous (infamous) but has anyone got any photographs of it when it was in service as an AH.1 mainly in Northern Ireland , I did fly in it when I was in Carrickmore 83/84 and have a few pics of it then . Also if there are any good tales about it I would like to hear them , why I want this info will become clear in January but anything is appreciated.
  2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

There is a thread about this somewhere.

Many here will have the cab in their log books as pilot / commander and DG.
  3. I know it's only a number but XW666 a 51Sqn Nimrod R1 was destined to be the first one lost of the three originals.

4. dockers

dockers Old-Salt Book Reviewer

5. Serviceable and on Provence Standby (Damien did a lot of that)

Attached Files:

6. you kidding. I LOVED flying 666 only Lynx that never broke down!!!!
  7. Treble six was the Theater Reserve cab held by 655 at Bellykelly during 88-90.
    Strictly speaking it was on Standbye but in practice it was employed as just another line cab.
    As one of the two LAD shift Staff Sgts I would say, Damien as the troops liked to call it, it was no better or worse on the serviceability front then any other Lynx.
    Early 90, April ?, a large vertical crack was found port side say 18 inches fwd of the center section to tail boom transportation joint.
    We assumed that the crack was from the Tail Rotor G/B, where on all Lynx first doubler plates had been fitted at T/R GB mount, then the Joe bolts had been replaced. The cracking then moved down to area around Angle G/B and we assumed forward to center section.
    Memory says all Lynx in German had had their tailbooms changed in early 80's, 81-82 for repair by Westlands.
    MARTSU ( Navy Fleetlands ) where called in and the cab was returned to mainland for repair.
    I was out service by August 90 and never saw it again.

8. I remember being entertained by tales of "Damien" by a (possibly somewhat one over the eight) AAC type in the civvy terminal at Aldergrove. Would have been '84/5-ish I suspect. I was duty plane-spotter and he probably should have known better.
  9. Damien will be appearing in a painting I've just commisioned of a pair of Lynx over Fermanagh. Artistic license? Quite possibly.
  10. Now that's interesting, what scheme/time period will it be in?
  11. Cushy bloody posting...
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. 1992ish. Around the last time I flew it. Here's a rough draft.

13. As a Gazelle/Lynx Aircrewman Observer (a long story) I remember Damion as a bit of a beast but it has been a few years since we first met at Ballykelly where I served from 30 NOV 86 till 15 JAN 90.

According to my log book in 1989: March 26 Aircraft: LYNX XZ666 Pilot: ****** (SSM 655 SQN at the time) Aircrew Duty: ACM 'O' Flight Details: ALDERGROVE - LISBURN (HELI TELLY FIT) - ALDERGROVE - BALLYKELLY Hours Flying: DAY 1.6 TOTAL 2506.2 Prior to that I guess it was at Aldergrove because that was my first log book entry of its tail number after which it crops up a few more times on runs from Ballykelly to Aldergrove (I recall service ability was not good), trips to Angelo before an Omagh duty or on an Angelo duty.

I do have some pictures of Lynx from that time, not sure if Damion features and I haven't worked out how to show them here yet anyway.
  14. Thanks for the input, the reason I was asking is that Corgi are releasing a diecast 1/72 model of 666 around March. I do a little bit of research for Corgi and used some pics I have of 666 in Carrickmore in 83/84 to select the scheme. I will post some pics of the pre-production model when they are available.

15. RUC, Corgi doing it in the old skool black n green? If so, fantastic! Being the sad spotter geek and font of all knowledge Lynx type person, I have the current TOW version they released a little while back. Just waiting for Airfix to get their arse in to gear and release the 1/48 scale Mk 7...its been on their 'release soon' catalogue for about a year and a half now.