xxx

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Squiggles, Jun 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody give me anymore details on this chap, other than what I've been able to google.[​IMG]

I'm also trying to identify his medals if any budding historian can help, as it turns out that he may be a distant relative (well a xxxwith those dates/places of birth is), although it's not exactly an uncommon name in Ireland.

Squiggles

2. Did this link come up?

From the Times 25 Feb 1857, his Regimental Number was 1051.

By Imperial Decree (a French one) on 16 June 1856, he became a Knight of the Legion of Honour. Reported in the Times 17 July 1856. The other ones are presumably campaign medals - does the Green Howards Museum have the set or just the VC?

3. Thanks! I need to work on my googlings skills as I hadnt found any of that.

I don't know if they have the set or just the VC. I have family living near to Richmond so I'll see if they can pop in and find out for me.

Whats the French connection?

4. The French were our allies in the Crimea so it was probably a bit of mutual backslapping - the Times report is a long list of the award of various grades of LoH, mostly to commanders. It is possible that the 19th were closely involved with French forces duing the siege. Maybe cross referencing LoHs with VCs might suggest whether it was an 'automatic' qualification or not.