XPAX change of cover

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by peteyermeat, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have moved out to Abu Dhabi to work. I did the dutiful thing and then informed XPAX of my new address.

Their reply - "since you now live outside the European Economic Area we can no longer insure you therefore this policy is cancelled" (after seven years of payment). I have queried the word "live" as that is not the same as reside.
    They now tell me that as long as I come back to the UK once every six months my cover will remain. All I have to do is tell them I am back, even if only for one day. Can this be right?
    It's a bit different to the glossy brochure I got last year which says all us oldies are now covered anywhere in the world.

This must affect a lot of us - any advice?

2. Makes me wonder now about my own XPAX Cover!!! which I have paid for the past 7 years and I don't reside in the U.K. it has been my Insurance Cover on several EOD/Mine Action contracts so I wonder if they would have turned any claim down should anything have happened during that time!

3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

As ever, don't assume - read!

Insurance contracts often have limited geographical scope for people they can insure, and other areas where they can travel to/work within.

For instance, if the contract is limited to applicants in the EEA, then qualifying people within that area can buy cover, and can often be insured for accidents that occur anywhere in the world.

If you live and/or reside outside the areas they are allowed to offer cover to people in, then they are not allowed to insure you - full stop. The live/reside bit is a grey area, and again definitions vary. Typically things such as where you are registered for tax purposes, where bank accounts are held, property owned and kept as main residence etc can all contribute to your residency status.

That seven years you paid premium for - you had seven years of cover over that time. It is not an investment plan, and there is no payback or investment value.

4. True assumption is the mother of all ...............

I am still waiting to see it in black and white that if I go back to UK for a visit my cover starts all over again for the next six months and so on.

Spoke with a girl who asked a supervisor who asked a senior supervisor who asked a manager and all said that is correct.

They are a bit slow in putting that in writing though so once I get confirmation either way I will post it on the site.

worth spreading around your ex-mil pals though as I have worked overseas for about seven years without cover.

Don't know what spasm made me tell them this time but glad I did now before losing any more money

5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Get it in writing, as you said, or better yet get it formally endorsed onto your policy. You may yet have to argue the validity of someone's opinion in an email or letter, whereas if it has been formally noted by way of endorsement that you are "deemed to be a resident of the EEA, as long as a period of not less than x days is spent in the UK per calendar year" or something similar will be less open to interpretation.

6. This will be an interesting one for soldiers posted to:-

Mentoring posts with the ANA
    Canada on 7 month tours
    Belize
    Brunei
    USA
    Falkland Islands

(I'm sure there are many other examples...)

The list goes on of misunderstanding and misimformation with civilain companys.

7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

First, note XPAX, not PAX - therefore it covers life post army, when ANA mentoring posts and BATUS tours are few and far between.

Secondly, a 7 month work contract abroad is fine as long as you are deemed to primarily live/reside in an authorised country, and happen to be working abroad, rather than being an expat who has to all intents and purposes moved abroad full time to work.

8. Fair one Duke

I was a little concerned,

XPAX does not apply to me just yet so rant over :soldier:

G11

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

From the website, here are the key points:

1. "Territorial limits: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.

Your cover will end at the earliest of the following dates:

k in respect of Part One (Personal Accident), Part Two (Personal Liability) and Part Four (Legal Protection) in relation to:
    • you, the insured person, when you have lived outside the EEA for more than 180 days in a row;
    • all insured people, when the policyholder has lived outside the EEA for more than 180 days in a row;
    l in respect of Part Three (Optional Life Insurance) in relation to:
    • you, the insured person, when you have lived outside the territorial limits for more than 180 days in a row;
    • all insured people, when the policyholder has lived outside the territorial limits for more than 180 days in a row;
    m when premiums are no longer paid from a bank or building society within the territorial limits, the cover will stop at the end of the calendar month the premium was last paid from a bank or building society within the territorial limits;

So, as long as you keep paying the premium from a UK bank account, and never spend more than 180 days outside of the EEA at any one time, your cover remains in place. Their advice about popping home for a day seems to be accurate, but I would make sure you got your passport stamped or a photograph under Big Ben holding a copy of the daily paper to prove that you were back in the UK on that day!