XP Pro boot up prob after rebuild.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Recce19, Jul 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just rebuilt my system and the only bits not replaced are the SATA HDD. DVD Writer and the PSU, this was due to it going into major sulk mode.

OK, the problem is this. When I boot up as normal with no bootable disk in the DVD drive and the BIOS boot sequence set to HDD first, it hangs just past the BIOS Post screen and won't advance any further (just a blank/black sceen with no cursor). If I change the boot order to DVD first and have a bootable disk in, it gives the option of 'press any key to boot from cd', I let it continue without pressing anything and it loads with no problems at all!

Never come across a scenario like this before, so any ideas on why, or how to fix it would be gratefully receieved.
  2. Sounds like you need the OM system recovery disc loaded first,then XP disc supplied with the new machine.Worked on mine after somebody put Ubuntu on it
  3. Have you reinstalled windows? If not, it could be the huge change in hardware has made windows throw a wobbly. Generally if you change a bit or two its fine, but a whole new system is a different matter.
  4. No, I've not done a re-install and it recognised and installed all the hardware first time with no problems. It is just this single problem on boot up. In fact it's acting more happy, stable and faster once it boots properly!

Usually I wouldn't do a major rebuild this way, but was left with no other choice - would rather still have the beer chits to be honest!
  5. There maybe an issue with Sata drivers, XP doesn't have these drivers cached, you may need to reinstall the sata drivers so windows can see the hdd and boot from it.
  6. Never had that issue with SATA before and I'm not sure why that would effect how it boots, when in the first boot slot. Also forgot to mention that both the HDD and the DVD writer are SATA devices.

Thanks for the help so far though. :)
  7. Sorry Recce19 misread your original post, i thought it wasnt booting at all.

So if the boot order is HDD then DVD it wont boot, but it will when set to DVD (with bootable disc in) then HDD? Does it boot without a bootable disc in?

edit due to fat fingers
  8. Data corruption on the drive (e.g. a bad boot sector, or corrupt file system) can cause boot failure due to buggy software applications or simply a virus.

i'd start with a boot cd which then let's you first check if the drive is operational and you can attempt to fix data corruption issues
    >> Fix the MBR
    >> Run chkdsk to verify and correct problems with the filesystem
    >> Do you have an AntiVirus bootable rescue cd? Use it to scan your drive for any issues

Given no symptom other then "can't boot into SAFE or NORMAL" there's lots of troubleshooting before starting to pay £'s on new parts for a solution.

In fact best place to start is with a Windows Recovery Console CD, which comes with basic software tools that address and can fix specific non-hardware problems that might be the cause of your problem

Download recovery console CD
    You can download a copy of the Recovery Console for use with XP Pro or XP Media Center Edition (do not use this download if you run XP Home). The download is in .iso file format – a burnable CD image.
    Verify iso files are a known file type on your computer and determine the software
    which handles it (most multi-media software like Roxio and Nero will manage iso files) In Windows Explorer, click Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types. Scroll down and look for file type iso
    a. If iso exists, note which program is shown to handle it
    b. If iso doesn’t exist, see this link for a freeware tool you can use. You should install the tool before you do the download.
    Click this link to download the file rc.iso and save it to disk.
    Use your multi-media software (or the freeware too) to burn the .iso file to CD
  9. Sounds like you changed the BIOS. If this is so then check the drive settings to make sure the HDD has beend correctly recognised.
  10. Have you tried removing everything other than the basics and working up?

i.e. Try unplugging the optical drives, ensuring that the BIOS is set to HDD as the first drive sequence and rebooting?

PS. @peem. Nice copy & paste from the tech spot forum. It would have been a tad better if you had installed the necessary links during your edit mate.
  11. Correct, that seems to be the only order it will boot, without hanging after the BIOS Post. Just found out, that I don't need to have any type of disk in the DVD! Stranger and stranger!

I know about this, but as Windows is functioning properly once loaded, I am loath to tinker with the MBR.

No, no re-install and the SATA drive is the original one, so no need to image or install - unless I go down the route of putting in a new HDD.

Thanks for the advice ref Win7, as soon as I can afford it, I think I will upgrade!

Yes, it's a new BIOS, as it's also a new motherboard. I've checked all the settings and they are correct - the HDD is correctly recognised and reporting the correct size.

I'm sure I did when I first found this problem, but with no change.

Thanks for all your answers, tips and suggestions. At least I can get back online!!!
  12. TBH Recce19 it seems like you have a non issue here. This could simply be BIOS bug that is fixed with a future update, but if its so easily fixed by changing the order then do it and stop worrying about it.

Personally i always keep the boot order as DVD then HDD as i tend to use a lot of bootable DVDs.
  13. I have to agree with you P_J and was more curious as to why - now that I know it's stable and is easily worked around.

Thanks again for the advice,
  14. Now this is off the top of my head but seem to remember reading somewhere that some newer MB tend to boot up quicker than the disk can get up and running so this may have something to do with the problem here. Maybe not and I just dreamt it but hey ho. Is there a timer somewhere in the BIOS?

Found this:-
    "When the computer is powered up there is some time for the parts to boot up and talk together. I note I have Western Digital hard drives so I went to their web site and looked around at my hard disk specifications. Then I read, "Drive ready time 7.0 sec (average)". Aha, is the BIOS and WIN-XP-PRO system coming up too fast on the motherboard before the disks have completely initialised? By the way I have a very short 80 way cable, 3 hard disks and one CD/DVD disk. IDE0 has two disks in UDMA5, IDE1 has one hard disk and one CD/DVD disk at UDMA2. The optical drive slows the hard disk down UDMA from 5 to 2 as expected on the second IDE port.

The web address below may be interesting for some people with Western Digital hard-drives with PIO problems. Please read the specifications to identify the, "Drive ready time".

The IDE ATA and ATAPI disks use PIO mode after multiple time-out or CRC errors occur is useful and works.

Interestingly in the BIOS set up here, there is a delay set up option. I can delay [hang] the BIOS boot for a selectable period of seconds. I selected the nearest time longer than the aforementioned 7.0 sec, that is 9 sec in my PC."

At DMA reverts to PIO | Windows Problem Solver