XP - Backwards compatible?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Sixty, Jan 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Afternoon, bright types.

Hopefully this will make some sort of sense.

Was bored and digging about through my big bag of forgotten stuff and discovered 2 hex-based wargame type things that I had no recollection of buying. Decided to fire them up (it was Sunday. I was bored) but getting no further than ‘this product requires Windows 95 to run’ since they’re very old. Unfortunately I’m running XP.

What I need to know is this: is there any type of emulator that could be used to run these or is XP backwards compatible via a shortcut that I’m missing?

Could also just accept that I’m a geek and give myself a slap.

Any vaguely useful info from the forum?
  2. msr

msr LE

3. I think there's an option if you right click on the game icon to say what system the game runs on. I may be wrong and it may do sod all, but it has worked in one case.
    Unfortunately I have the same problem with some of my other old games, even changing the setting doesn't work.

Edited to add: MSR posted while I was writing this and to be honest most people know more than me about PCs!
  4. Well, isn't this just typical? Those bstards in Redmond, minting their dollars, not caring a damn for the little guy.

Oh, hang on. From the Microsoft website, of all places:

Run Older Programs on Windows XP.

Yours, ya frikkin geek,

Dr E

PS To avoid counter-accusations of geekery, let me protest in advance that I found that page by typing "running windows 95 games in xp" into Google. Go me.
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Cheers msr, worked a treat. It was the very ancient 'Great Battles of Alexander' and the Hannibal version that I was looking to get working and now they are.

Dr_E, Google would have been my first port of call but it's blocked from work unfortunately. Thanks for looking though.
  6. I never knew that! Learning all the time...

Now I can play Rayman Gold again!
  7. msr

msr LE

Google blocked? How odd...

8. Nope, didn't work for me. Back to DosBox. :(
  9. msr

msr LE

10. or you could right click the EXE file and click "run in windows 95 mode" under the compatability tab....
  11. Good on yer. The patch thing seems to work, but it's worth noting that the XP compatibility trick (however it's operated) doesn't seem to work all the time, and with a few other old games I've got stashed here; an 'unhandled exception' error pops up and tells the user where to bog off to.

Not to worry. Thanks, guys.