XM320 grenade launcher

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by jumpinjarhead, Feb 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [​IMG]

Mixed reviews from the Afghanistan--Plastic parts that break, trouble with the side-loading opening, complaints about the large handle getting in the way...

More here:Linky
  2. Looks very similar to the HK version we get, no problems really other than the usual, safety catch breaks sometimes and the sights have a habit of breaking off if mishandled.

Edit for being slow.

It is the same bit of kit 8O we got it first now theres something new
  3. I still prefer the venerable wood and steel M79. :D

4. So do I, pre OP Banner training 78/79, just watch your hands (web part) on the safety catch.

Interesting first photo (weapons leaning against ISO container, bang goes the zeroing if they fall over).

And is that an American male bonding exercise with the web strap between the two, one standing attached to waist/one lying down attached at neck?
  5. I think that is yet another example of the pitfalls of giving troops too much down time. :D
  6. For what its worth, I can confirm that the 40mm grenade is probably the most popular UXO here in (South) Vietnam the boys must have lost almost as many as they fired. Well perhaps not that many but we have had quite a few finds, mainly HE over the last couple of months. Or maybe they fired millions of them in which case the lost, blind and misfired are not such a large proportion of the whole.
  7. 'Sorry to cause you the bother. I do not recall a time when we really lacked substantial numbers of them.

I carried one as a recce platoon leader and used the M576 buckshot round (containing twenty-seven 00 buckshot--quite useful in counter-ambush situations at close ranges. The pellets cast a cone of fire 98 feet (30 m) wide and 98 feet high and travel at 882 feet per second (269 mps) much more than the HE.

8. Very often near what could have been defensive positions, but it's sometimes difficult to tell, as what was once a forest is now a rice field, post-defoliation.

In fact, if you look at the US bombing data records it is often very difficult, now, to see why or what they were bombing then.

Some of the M79 launched stuff is also found below a metre depth and one can only assume that that these (often whole rounds) were lost from webbing / pockets, or the edges of slit trenches or shell sctrapes and fell into the scrape / trench during a fire fight and were trampled into the mud.
  9. The HE round spin arms at 15m (early version was only 5m--well within the ECR!!) from muzzle and often in close fighting troops would fire them in situations where they would not arm before hitting foliage etc. and thus fall to the ground.
  10. Oh its no bother, it keeps me in a well paid job :D

There was a full range of the things in use at the time - I have the tech spec for most of them on a USB drive and have used some of the variants myself years and years ago. A very handy and versatile weapon!
  11. Good cutaway pic, thanks!!
  12. Be careful out there! :D
  13. Esepcially given the high-pressure/low-pressure system (shell case was empty and had a "super-primer" in a pocket that held the pressure to a fixed point and then orifices ruptured to allow gases to escape into the larger area within the shell case--thus the signature "bloop" sound) used to propel the grenade (relatively low velocity and low recoil).

Interestingly, when we first got the M576 rounds we did not get any "owners manual" and when I first fired one it about ripped my shoulder off (much to the delight of my Marines) since it did have a propellant charge in the shell casing causing a recoil about the equivalent of a 2 gauge punt gun I imagine! :)
  14. In Viet Nam was it the XM 203 or the XM 230? My guess is on the former.

BTW JJH the UK developed an EOD round for the 40mm grenade launcher which could be fired into a can of petrol and disrupt it without the petrol catching fire.