XCOM Enemy Unknown

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Trans-sane, May 18, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

XCOM Enemy Unknown

Not seen anyone bring this one up. Looks like a potential gem. I did like the X-Com games (even if I just dabbled with them).

• Like Like x 1
  2. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

There are two xcom games in the pipeline- this one, a proper remake and then there is a vaguely related bastard cousin of a game that has none of the gameplay, little of the story and hardly anything to do with the original other than the title.
    Guess which one I am more looking forward to...

3. Missed out on XCOM Enemy Unknown back when it came out (93?), 'cos I was saving my pocket money for Elite Frontier (which turned out to be poo).
    Found it onsale online in 2008 for something like £1.99 and still play it occasionaly now; I'm trying to get me team to Mars without a single one of my bill-oddies getting deaded.
    I'm not going to rush out to get the "Men in Black" style "remake in name only".

4. Trans-sane

Seen that as well. Was googling X-Com Apocalypse (only one I played a lot of- truely awesome) and got hits on both titles. The XCOM one looks shit frankly. First person shooters with blokes wearing ties and feddora hats just doesn't work. As an aside I saw the instructions for getting X-Com Apocalyse working via DOSBox and bottled out. It would be easier to calculate the Pioneer or Voyager flight paths...

5. The best one was enemy from the deep. Enemy unknown was great too. I loved this game as a brill turn based section level combat game.

They did get repetitive though.

6. played the follow-ons a bit, x-com apocalypse, ufo aftermath and ufo afterlight,

this new X-COM looks a bit like afterlight really vamped up.

7. Get it on Steam - £2.99, price of a London pint.

• Like Like x 1
  8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the whole lot only goes to about £7.

THATS more like the price of a london pint. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  9. XCOM again? How many remakes can one game have? Played all of them, though was unimpressed with Terror From The Deep. Quite liked the UFO Aftermath reboot.

All were superior to playing on the Amiga (only playable with a 68040 and a hacked version of the game, more so in AGA modes).

10. Trans-sane

Does it work on Windows 7 straight out of the metaphorical (and indeed metaphysical) box?

11. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

12. Trans-sane

Bought X-Com apocalypse on Steam yesterday. I'd forgotten how awful the graphics truely were, and that they made simple things like working out line-of-sight tricky. I'd also forgotten just how unbelievably frustrating brain suckers and poppers were. Currently got nearly half my strike team in the medbay getting patched up. I'll consider that good frustrating though. BAD frustrating is trying to win the air war. Did great for the first couple of game weeks. But now the Aliens send the heavy metal straight away. My massed wing of hover bikes didn't pack firepower able to defeat their armour and got masacred. And my one heavy interceptor is out-gunned, out-armoured and out-numbered... Interesting times ahead me thinks :-D

13. the new xcom looks great, not sure about the fps version though

14. I used to hate those Ethereal bastards with their mind control...

• Like Like x 1
  15. The makers of the game do some pretty good strategy type games, games which take weeks to play (sim city/civilization) which was the realm of the original xcom. If they stick to that basis for a game and cross over fps it could be good.

If they make the technology tree's and tactical choices very narrow, which would mean less programming but a more linear game, you would end up with a shit product like syndicate. It may take you a while to get back to their planet but if your decisions along the way don't count for anything it will be another 2 week wonder and another reason for software piracy.