Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xbox Series X

Ritch

LE
I don’t disagree and the price tag will be the appealing aspect of the S. I am leaning an X for myself, but the kid might want an S in the future.

Personally I think the X is the way to go if you can afford it. The next gen of consoles are all about performance and graphics being as close to realism as you can get with the AAA titles and the X will deliver on that - probably. Don't quote me on that. ;)

TamH70

MIA
An Xbox Series X or an RTX 3070 graphics card that will make my already quite a powerful PC just that little bit better? Decisions, decisions.

And then there's AMD with their Navi 2 shenanigans which will open up the graphics card business a bit wider.

October's going to be fun trying to make my mind up.

Personally I think the X is the way to go if you can afford it. The next gen of consoles are all about performance and graphics being as close to realism as you can get with the AAA titles and the X will deliver on that - probably. Don't quote me on that. ;)

I am very inclined to agree with you. I would like to get one in 2021 after the Christmas season madness ends. I am also hesitant because I keep remembering the Red Ring of Death with the 360 release 15 years ago. I am to understand the X will have a massive backwards compatibility database which is also helpful.

Last XBOX I bought the boy you could get a standard PC 2TB storage and make it work, surely they are not making console specific storage devices??

I worked on a defence procurement project where we took 'ruggedised' SSD (the very first ones) and put them in an enclosure which made them Salt Fog capable to record certain aircraft sensors on a martime aircraft.

What I am saying is, an SSD is an SSD and if these consoles are making them XBOX SSD or PS5 SSD they are rip off cnuts.

endure

GCM
Last XBOX I bought the boy you could get a standard PC 2TB storage and make it work, surely they are not making console specific storage devices??

It helps if you read all of the article ;-)

I worked on a defence procurement project where we took 'ruggedised' SSD (the very first ones) and put them in an enclosure which made them Salt Fog capable to record certain aircraft sensors on a martime aircraft.

What I am saying is, an SSD is an SSD and if these consoles are making them XBOX SSD or PS5 SSD they are rip off cnuts.
Normal SSD will plug in & work

From what I've seen of console players, never mind SSDs, their priority peripheral should be a perspex screen in front of their TV to deflect the angrily-hurled toysticks.

endure

GCM
I thought they were like instructions or headlines?

Hang on, blood pressure is up.

" Microsoft has designed these expansion cards to match the same performance found on the internal SSD. You will be able to hook up a USB drive to the Xbox Series X and play Xbox One games on the console, but if a game gets updated with enhancements that rely on the new Xbox Velocity storage architecture, then they’ll need to be copied to the Xbox Series X internal or expandable storage. "

I have an Xbox One S 1TB and with a 4k TV games like Forza Horizon 2 and Red Dead 2 look amazing.

I switched to Xbox from PSX 1 after playing Halo. (I was Duty Offr, one of the lads had brought an Xbox and Halo into the guardroom and I had a cabby on it.) I've been Xbox since, I still even use my 360.

Older KoR Jnr has Xbox, but also had a PS4 as well, but eventually sold it and is sticking with Xbox.

Its funny the the improvements between new consoles is becoming less. If you compare Xbox with 360, its quite a jump graphically, (at least you could put the disc in an play straight away). But I don't think 360 to One was such a leap and I don't think the One S or One X to series X is going to be such a big leap.

So I'll stick with the One for a while yet. I'm also a bit of a luddite as I like have the physical media too.
The main constraint with these things is storage. 1TB now only hold say 4 or 5 big games. You are going to have to have an external drive.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
as steamboat points out, the RROD was an issue with the 360 on its release. early adopting anything is letting yourself in for any bugs they either didn't find or didn't fully iron out before release. as for the ssd issue, the fact they've partnered with Seagate gives me pause ( I wouldn't touch one of their drives with yours. ) as for the design, I quite like it - I treated myself to a One last year after christmas and I think it's a beautiful piece of industrial design.
but tbh, all of my 'serious' gaming is done on the pc these days - the One get used as a media centre (which it is absolutely brilliant at - sky, youtube, netflix, prime video and disney is all on there) and for games like Forza, F1 and project cars - I don't know how anyone can try and play an fps with thumbsticks - so as someone suggested, my next gaming purchase will be a 3000- series graphics card in all likelihood. unless their release prompts vendors to unload their 2000- series stock at a big discount. **tightwad**

TamH70

MIA
as steamboat points out, the RROD was an issue with the 360 on its release. early adopting anything is letting yourself in for any bugs they either didn't find or didn't fully iron out before release. as for the ssd issue, the fact they've partnered with Seagate gives me pause ( I wouldn't touch one of their drives with yours. ) as for the design, I quite like it - I treated myself to a One last year after christmas and I think it's a beautiful piece of industrial design.
but tbh, all of my 'serious' gaming is done on the pc these days - the One get used as a media centre (which it is absolutely brilliant at - sky, youtube, netflix, prime video and disney is all on there) and for games like Forza, F1 and project cars - I don't know how anyone can try and play an fps with thumbsticks - so as someone suggested, my next gaming purchase will be a 3000- series graphics card in all likelihood. unless their release prompts vendors to unload their 2000- series stock at a big discount. **tightwad**

Don't get a 2000-series card. You'll kick yourself as they'll be the same price, or dearer, than the 3000-series card, and give you poorer performance.

I'm with you on the Seagate drive issue, and WD are the same.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't get a 2000-series card. You'll kick yourself as they'll be the same price, or dearer, than the 3000-series card, and give you poorer performance.

I'm with you on the Seagate drive issue, and WD are the same.

it depends how the prices shake out. if the 3070s are coming in around £500 and the 80s £6-700, the prices of the 2000s will plummet. we shall see.

as for WD, I will take them or Toshiba over seagate any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Ritch

LE
as for the ssd issue, the fact they've partnered with Seagate gives me pause ( I wouldn't touch one of their drives with yours. )

I don't know how anyone can try and play an fps with thumbsticks -

Rumours of these expansion cards costing £200. Not something I want to hear.

As for Seagate, I've never had an issue. I have a 1TB SSD for my Xbox One X and only paid £49 for it.

As for playing FPS... I have no idea how anyone can play one on a PC. ;)

endure

GCM
it depends how the prices shake out. if the 3070s are coming in around £500 and the 80s £6-700, the prices of the 2000s will plummet. we shall see.

as for WD, I will take them or Toshiba over seagate any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Lots of hard drive stats at Backblaze. HGST seem to be very reliable

Latest Threads