Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Cougar, Aug 20, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking at buying an XBOX 360 for my lad and you can currently get a deal on Amazon for the ARCADE version (wireless controller, HDMI out, game) bundled with another wireless controller and two more games for £149 - plus I could get the tax back of that!

It seems to be a good deal however it doesn't have the HDD storage capacity that others have - 60Gb or 120 Gb but these are a lot more expensive. I have looked on Amazon and ebay and could get a XBOX 20 Gb HDD for about £25 still saving me at least £70 on the next XBOX 360 version.

Questions are:

Would this be a good idea as I think the new Arcade version is more or less the same as other versions now minus the HDD and can you\is it easy enough to fit a HDD to the Arcade version?

Thanks for the help and I apologise for my lack of understanding on the subject!!
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

cheaper afaik to buy a version bundled with a hard drive - even a s/h from gamestation on it's own is quite pricey. and the playing experience is far less of a faff I understand.
  3. To be honest unless you plan to buy movies or download games onto your 360 all you need is the arcade with a memory card to store saves. The console is the same as the premium version and it is a Peice of piss to add a hard drive if you want to.
  4. I would definitely recommend one with a hard drive, 20gb is more than enough storage space for gaming.

Having the HDD is very much less of a faff than having memory cards etc.
  5. I agree.

The arcade version is false economy. buy the one that comes with the 20gb hard drive.
  6. Or get a PS3 which are getting cheaper now the slimline is coming. Much better I think.
  7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the ps3 hasnt got nearly the choice of games that the 360 does. sony still havent got the killer game for the ps3 in the same way that they did for the PS1 and 2. and until they do, it's unlikely they're going to get anywhere near the market domination they had with the first two consoles.
  8. Theres no faffing involved with a memory card. I bought the premium version and wished I had'nt wasted my money
  9. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

firmware updates? installing games to the hard drive to speed things up? ripping your own cd's to the hard drive for in game use?

for the difference in price, I'd get a hard drive version every time.
  10. How does that work then?