XBox 720 - second hand games not allowed!

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by FrosteeMARIA, Feb 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

2. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

No big surprises me voting no, and nothing to do with the second hand games argument. I've always been a PC/PS man and regardless of platform they're all going the same way. The second hand games market only benefits re-sellers (e.g. Game) who get to charge nearly full price without the small issue of paying publishers a cut. I heard not that long back that the majority of Game's profit came from pre-owned titles.

I've always been a hoarder and like to keep my libraries of old games, however shit they turned out to be, even if just for posterity. It winds the missus up something chronic. At least Steam goes some way to keeping my real-estate needs down!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FrosteeMARIA

Agree - Game have come pretty close to going under in more recent times, I think this will finish them off for good. I don't think Microsoft or Sony have confirmed any of these rumours mentioned in the article yet, but we shall see!
  4. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

This story has been out for weeks.

Companies like Game will really suffer because of this.
  5. How is this going to work with the game rental market?
  6. FrosteeMARIA

Most likely kill it.
  7. Seen it mentioned a while back that it wouldnt be previous console games compatiable unlike the 360 again a way of forcing you to buy newer games. Would be interested to see what the likes of the EU etc would take as it's stifing choice etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. This is truly shit though. Ford won't get a cut if I buy a second hand mondeo off a garage forecourt, why on earth do any games manufacturers believe they have the right to decide how a game I have purchased should be disposed of?

I know they say you only purchase the licence, but I believe that is eminently challengable under consumer purchase rights that have been around for decades. If they say that you only purchase the right to play the game then they will have to hold the bits at their end, massive server requirements requiring their expense plus they are cutting off the swathes of people who don't have decent broadband speeds, less customers equals less profit.

Download only, no problem, but if they aren't at steam type prices then they can rod off. I will not pay the thick end of £50 to then be told I don't own something, I might as well set fire to notes in the back garden.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. fu2

fu2 LE

So you have to have internet to be able to use the new x box ? Microsoft going to loose a lot of customers that way.
  10. BrunoNoMedals

I doubt that. It's not exactly rare and unlike laptops a console isn't particularly portable. It sits in your house and makes the most of your home infrastructure. If that doesn't include internet you're a pleb who probably can't afford said console in the first place or at best shouldn't be getting involved in such witchcraft as "electronics".

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
  11. Looks like Sony are going to go along the same route with the new PS4, which means my chances of getting the business case past SO1 Domestic Affairs is going to be slim....
  12. Personally I think this will do more ham than good to Microsoft- as good as Internet coverage in the uk, not all of it is a mega high speed- sky are struggling at the moment due to over sub-scribing their services. Downloading an update for BF3 the other week took me 6 hours- what will it be like to get a game on release date? What happens when your always on connection hits its fair useage limit and the ISP puts a cap on it? Can image a lot of Xbox infinity users will get frustrated after purchasing consoles due to this. (Not to mention lads on camps or ships who have no Internet connection at all!)

Sent from my iPhone using The Force
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

I have bought a few second hand games on ebay but I can see the market is shifting to digital downloads and DLC. Steam was the trojan horse withe the concept, and the only thing that is keeping Microsoft back is their rigid XBL pricing structure that makes companies like amazon more preferable.

For me though, games are becoming a luxury as the budget gets tightened. I will more likely now than before play a game to completion and try to unlock all the achievements before moving on. The ever-increasing prices see to that.

And when/if Microsoft ever cotton on and make their pricing structure competitive, consumer laziness will ensure far more people download content from them instead of buying physical copies. That means there will be NO MORE reselling of games in retail outlets as the copies will be one time use at purchase anyway.

Sony do it, Steam will be doing it with their yet to be released console and I've been downloading PC games for years. The re-selling market was always going to die - it was just a question of when.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BrunoNoMedals

The isn't any implication of streaming games, so your point seems invalid. It's a simple online serial verification, not three gigabytes an hour.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
  15. My immediate thought was , 'damn thats out of order' then I realised that I have only ever bought 2-3 second hand games and I have never sold any. So not an issue there.

Also my main focus is PC games and I get them all through Steam or Origin so I could not resell them anyway.

I doubt this will hurt Microsoft and it could also help out against pirates which is always a good thing.
    I should think that 90% of people contemplating buying a 720 will have internet so no issues there.

All good news.