XBox 360 Storage Query

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by TheresaMay, Nov 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I've just been offered a fully working XBox 360 Pro (white with chrome DVD tray) for a very reasonable £20. Unfortunately it doesn't have that 20Gb HDD bit on the end of the console, and I'm told without a memory card or HDD I will not be able to save game progress etc.

My question is - can I not just put a bog-standard 2Gb memory stick in one of the USB slots and use that instead? Or do I have to buy a genuine expansion card / HDD instead? Argos are currently selling 8Gb and 16Gb Sandisk USB memory sticks exclusively for the XBox, but I don't particularly fancy forking out £25 if I've already got something which will work just as well...

As usual, any advice would be most welcome, thanks.

2. No, you can't use a standard memory stick. Has to be 360 branded, just buy the 20gb HDD you pikey bastard.

3. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I tried it last night (downloaded the Apr 10 update onto my USB) and plugged it into my XBox and it's now reading like normal XBox storage - to my total surprise, wow!

All I wanted was to be able to play Halo and save my progress, which is now working just fine. It just occurred to me that the geek stick I bought of Amazon two years ago for a grand total of 1p (plus £1.99 P&P) is essentially the same thing - and why fork out between £25-£70 for something I clearly don't need after all?

Thanks for your help - much appreciated!

DC

4. Great stuff.
    As long as it passes the speed requirement test during setup and has previously been reliable you should be OK.
    I do try to have a least two copies of any important saves e.g. ones where I've already wasted far too much time to get to that point that I could never justify doing it all again.