Xbox 360 only works from a main plug.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by carlbcfc, Nov 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This bag o shite xbox 360 only seems to work when plugged into a main socket. It does not seem to like extentions, I get 3 red light flashing. Any reason for this?

2. Yes!!!!!!!

They used lead free solder.

Open the fecker up and add a bit of propper solder to every componant you can get too.

3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Mine works off an extension, same as the TV and dvd player.

4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Don't buy your extension cables from Poundstretcher.

5. Fugly, as it happens, it does not like £land ones. I tried a decent one, still no luck. What does the soldering do?

6. Aye there is a reason. its fecked

7. Repares all the dry joints. Which is the major problem with the XBox. If you have ever worked with lead free solder you would understand. It is fooking ****.

8. So why does it work in a wall plug, but start lighting up line im in feckin Amsterdam if I try to use an extension?

Just to clarify, it does work.......just not with extensions. Do I have a semi ROD?

This was a Mircosoft Refurb from Gamestation, which is 1 month old. The punk looking lad in the shop said the insides were the same as the new Elite..........but I went and had it flashed and fcuked my warrenty.

9. Anyone know why it does not like extensions?

10. msr

msr LE

Some people learn from experience, the rest just have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

msr

11. Me and electronics do not mix lately.

12. 1. Try the xbox in other wall sockets
    2. Try the extension with other devices
    3. Try yet another extension
    4. Plug the xbox into different sockets on the extension

I cant think of a reasonable explanation why the xbox wouldn't work on an extension (other than the extension is fecked), but you should try different configurations to see if you can pinpoint the fault further.

What do they 3 flashing red lights mean? I dont have an Xbox, but do they flash in a certain sequence, or do the 3 lights themselves signify a specific fault?

Googling brought this up as the second listing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907534

13. Mine works fine in an extension :)

14. well no wonder if your in cloggy land the leccy is different everyone knows that, it's size and speed on the ampy thingy's...................................
    TAXI!!!!!!!!!

15. It works direct to a wall. Ive tried 5 extensions, 4 did not work, the 5th was a 2 socked one hooked up to the fridge. I took the fridge out,it worked with that.

So it does not like sharing plugs with others it seems, and wont work wih cheaper extensions. Still, not what I expected from a modern piece of equipment. The PS3 is fine.

One of the many reasons for 3 flashing reds according to wiki is a power surge, so I tried a surge protector, still did not work.