xafinity paymaster - You owe us £510.72!

Had a letter from them yesterday explaining that they'd cocked up my initial pension calculation from June 2000 (transposed 2 numbers) and I was now owed them £510.72 and could they have a cheque please. Hhhhmmmm, only a few pounds a year but it's amounted to a bit of a lump sum which they're asking back NOW.

Request them to write it off as being their error.

Ask them how do they think it will affect your income tax position.

Ask CAB for advice. Politely ask them to re-calculate. Say that you accepted the money in good faith and say they are usually so relible and accurate. You cannot believe that they have made a mistake.

Ignore the letter and see what they come up with next. Is a possible option.

Send them a cheque for £510.72 swear mildly when posting it and then forget about it and get on with your life.

Send them a cheque for £600 to compensate for their inconvenience.

Send the cheque but forget to sign it.

Tell them to shove it up their arse. You wouldn't get a hotel ring you up 6 months after your holiday saying "We're sorry we charged you the wrong rate for your room, you owe us another 500 quid" would you?

Tell them that they have allowed too much time to elapse before finding the alleged mistake. Therefore their request for repayment has no legitamacy.

Get a relative to write back and say you are in the early stages of Dementure - and if that doesn't work then get a relative to write back and say you are in the early stages of Dementure and if that fails get a relative to write back and say you are in the early stages of Dementure

I think there is a strong case to have this sum written off. Send them a response along the following lines:

Thank you for your letter of [insert date] requesting repayment of £510.72, a sum arising from overpayment of my pension since June 2000.

Whilst I do not dispute this overpayment I request that it is written-off for the following reasons. The error arose from your miscalculation, not mine. In addition the monthly overpayment was not of sufficient materiality to raise any suspicion on my part that I was in receipt of an overpayment, and as a consequnce I received this money in good faith. This lack of materiality is reinforced by the reality that it has taken you 11 years to discover the mistake. Although I am generally content to revert to the revised pension rate, I have, over the last 11 years, built up a realistic expectation of entitlement to this rate, and it is disproportionately unfair to expect me to repay the sum requested.

I would be grateful, therefore, if you would raise this dispute with SPVA as a matter of urgency and seek appropriate guidance and direction.

I think there is a strong case to have this sum written off. Send them a response along the following lines:
I like the cut of your jib sir! I shall follow your suggested lines.

Tell them that they have allowed too much time to elapse before finding the alleged mistake. Therefore their request for repayment has no legitamacy.
I'm sure they will be more than happy with that when they find a mistake in their favour and no one has noticed until now.

Still its only taxpayers money who gives a ****?

Still its only taxpayers money who gives a ****?
1) Was it me that fucked up, in fact did I have any way of knowing how much they were going to give me? No and no.
2) Have I worked and paid class 1 NICs since I was 15 years old? Yes.
3) Have I paid in excess of the maximum 30 years of class 1 NICS required to get a full state pension? Yes.
4) Am I still paying class 1 NICs? Yes.
5) Have I ever claimed any form of 'benefit' during my entire life? Not a single penny.
6) Do I feel a little aggrieved? Yes.

So glad I never put this in the NAAFI.