X shaped antennae in S Korea

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Resurgam, Jan 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Being a thick gunner I wondered if any of you clever chaps can tell me what an x shaped antennae for a VHF radio that we saw in S Korea might have been. It seemed very efficient indeed. Keen to know as it worked very well with a uk raven radio and gave far better range.

Cheers

2. Was the "X" the antenna or the supporting frame of a Cubical Quad.

3. The antenna could have been a full wave rhombic which is a very efficient and effective Ae.

4. Obviously not old enough to remember VHF telly then....!

5. I am and was going to ask HF radio or VHF radio!!! :)

6. A full wave rhombic would be a fairly large affair, I'm guessing the OP saw it on a mast of some sort. Had it been a Quad, which I think is most likely, the supporting arms are usually all people see as the actual wire elements are so thin.
    Yes I am old enough to remember the old BBC vhf "X", I put a few up in the early days, they were nothing special in performance though so I can't see why anyone would reproduce them for radio use.

7. Is this the one...?

[​IMG]

8. Got any pictures?
    I can then confirm.

Resurgam

9. OK We got X and Y and J. Anyone got any more?

Attached Files:

10. "L" "V" "T" and Lazy"H" for a start

11. VHF radio (Combat Net Radio on a tactical type mast.

12. No proof without pics

13. I give you O and H

Attached Files:

14. And T

Attached Files:

15. The "Y" is in fact the supporting arms of a four element Triangular loop antenna, this supports my point about the "X" possibly being a Quad and shows how hard it can be to see the "Loop" itself.