X-Section photos of Ammo - Excellent pics

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by OldSnowy, Jun 22, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Found this site:
    Sabine Pearlman

It is a collection of pictures of cross-sectiomed Ammo from quite old to modern. Some are quite impressive - if you like that sort of thing.

The one on the top right looks like something to kill someone three times at once, whereas the bottom left pistol (?) round enables you to kill three people at once - or, at least, hit someone with a pistol round.
    Well, I like them, and it'll give Dingerr something to do, trying to identify them all!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. They're experimental flechette/multi-projectile rounds. I saw a lot like this in the eighties. We used to make shotgun versions of them. Not very effective and legally-dubious for warfare, so most got binned as being expensive experiments.
  3. Looking at them, none are real they've all been bodged up and I doubt they would work.
  4. If there were ever any live versions, these are poorly made representations.
  5. ................................................
  6. Is that a lot of E's?

7. the flechette was made at 5.56 and at 4.62 tested at RG.

The Caseless Telescopic round was trialled with the G11, however it was prone to cook off, so a 5.56 version was trialled as a Telescopic Ammunition, never heard any more about it, last touched the stuff in 2001, then lots of other things happened since so lost touch with it.

As for the cross section models, they dont seem that bad.

God knows what the end effect of the one top right was supposed to do?
  8. The bottom two are obviously LV pistol rounds.

Bottom left won't work as the sub projectile will remain in the copper 'cup' when fired, it would hit the target complete.

Bottom right, without decent wadding the sub projectiles won't go anywhere.

Top left, Calibre? Non metallic bullet (which does have its uses) but sat in a copper cup, just makes it pointless.

Top right - is just ******* shit. Is it meant to be some version of APCBC? Top three might leave the cart case, if they manage to leave the barrel they won't go anywhere as they are not designed for flight.

Top middle probably would leave cart case - no obturation.

I've enjoyed looking at them, brings me back to first principles.
  9. Very Strange

Top right looks like some form of training round but that would be a lot of charge

Top Centre, is that a discarding sabot round?

Top right, X 3 composites but with a round underneath?

I remember the plod, many years ago, trialing a rather nifty shotgun round. The shot was encased in a plastic mesh which contained the shot during flight and burst open on contact with the target. The effect apparently was similar to being hit with a sawn off at point blank and it reduced the potential for collateral damage. Don't know if it ever made service.
  10. Sounds like a modified plaswad cartridge, ACAB

Heres a Remington combat one.

• Like Like x 1
  11. rearward obturation, forward obturation, impart spin to the round, prevent slippage, de coppering, accuracy,

is that right dingerr its been a long time!
  12. What's the question?

The function and role of a driving band?
  13. Yes, Graham (big chap) likes cake, taught me well.

14. Top Right looks like a version of Duplex ammo. The only one that I've seen was the 5.56mm 'two projectile' version that put the second bullet within 100mm of where the first round impacted at 100m.

Guess the 4 bullet version was a short range round which could be effective from an auto weapon?

edit just found this.....

15. By the power of Google the following have been put forward as identification.

Top left: A pentrator round in 5.56x45 loaded with a steel projectile in a copper half-jacket to protect the bore.

Top centre: 5.56mm XM216 SPIW Flechette. The Gun Zone -- SPIW: Special Purpose Individual Weapon

Top right: 7.62mm NATO Salvo Squeezebore. The barrel is tapered narrower at the end with an adapter, and the compression causes the 3 bullets to separate. 3 x 20gr projectiles @ 4000fps. The Gun Zone -- Military Multiplex Cartridges & Project SALVO

Bottom Left: 9x19mm Cobra "High Safety Ammunition" - steel darts inside a polymer sabot.

Bottom right: 9x19mm Israeli riot control - steel balls embedded in amber resin.
    • Like Like x 1