X-rated Cole Porter lyrics?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Vastatio, Sep 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A recent article in a local newspaper contended that Porter - in collusion with Gershwin - wrote alternative, rather risque lyrics to 'You're The Top', e.g.;

'You're the burning heat of a bridal suite in use,
    You're the breasts of Venus,
    You're King Kong's penis,
    You're self abuse'

Does anyone know more about this? (childish, I know)
  2. I'll get back to you on that.

An old boss of mine used to paraphrase "These foolish things remind me of you"

a sweaty sock and a used French letter
    these foolish things etc.

I'm not sure, but look up Peter Skellern (sp?) if any one knows he would - that was his bag.
  3. Hmph! Only one reply? (sniffs dismissively, types down nose) Philistines! A pox on your camels, a worm in your rafters and a blight on your pansies!
  4. Bearing in mind Cole was a rampant homo in a time where it was officially illegal, and had a 'creative' mind, I'm not suprised he had alternative lyrics. Probably sang them in his more 'select' gatherings to a very appreciative audience.

Not like he's the first to re-write his or someone elses lyrics now is it ?

Now please unpox my camel as that's about as much interest as I can muster on a Friday !!

5. (mutters gracelessly) Oh, all right then! (makes magic passes) I gather that being a 'top' has a certain meaning amongst those of an alternative persuasion, so some double-entendre there alone.
  6. Maybe that's what's meant by "your the bottom I'm the top" then?

kind of Arthur or Martha scenario - quite inventive these homeaux, or is that humous?

I blame the frogs and morrocans...
  7. And the Greeks...